We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?

• Thread starter Thread starter RG
  • Start date Start date
I've put thousands of rounds through my XD with very little issues, probably not near the amount of rounds those guys do for practice though.  They have always been some of my most trusted guns though.  I know the XDMs had issues, but I own older XDs and not heard of any trust issues with them.  Springfields are some of my favorites though, so I am a little biased, my M1A is one of my favorite guns. 

DivotMaker said:
For a larger frame weapon, I'm pretty "old school," and many people don't agree with me.  First, the most reliable range guns you can have fun with are full-frame Smith & Wesson revolvers!  Yes!  Wheel guns are more reliable than ANY semi-auto, and you can pick them up used much cheaper.  Second, for semi-autos, I'll never own a "Tupperware" gun (plastic frame)...Don't start the barrage, guys - just giving my opinion!  This why I like 1911 .45 ACPs, and pistols like S&W full-frame (older) 4046 (stainless, .40 cal), Sigs, Rugers, etc.  Basically, any steel-frame pistol.  Plastic goes in the grips, not the frame.

OK, now that I've probably shared a dollars-worth of my "2¢," I'll stop now! ;)

1911s are a must have for everyone, lol.  I like trying different pistols though, my father in law always sucks me into buying stuff from people and trades, lol.  Have had a few issues with plastic frames, but I usually get rid of those quickly. I just don't like revolvers, owned a few, but they just aren't enjoyable shooters for me. 

Roger - thanks!  I've done several guns now with GunKote - great stuff.  Trip - I totally respect what you're saying.  Guns are like cars & guitars - everyone has their own "preference!"  Lots like BBQ, too - no "wrong" answers, as long as it's what you like, and shoot well with!  Oh, and I do believe everyone could use a 1911! ;)

DivotMaker said:
I agree with the comments about buying a larger-frame pistol for fun target shooting. 

For a larger frame weapon, I'm pretty "old school," and many people don't agree with me.  First, the most reliable range guns you can have fun with are full-frame Smith & Wesson revolvers!  Yes!  Wheel guns are more reliable than ANY semi-auto, and you can pick them up used much cheaper.  Second, for semi-autos, I'll never own a "Tupperware" gun (plastic frame)...Don't start the barrage, guys - just giving my opinion!  This why I like 1911 .45 ACPs, and pistols like S&W full-frame (older) 4046 (stainless, .40 cal), Sigs, Rugers, etc.  Basically, any steel-frame pistol.  Plastic goes in the grips, not the frame.

First off I could not have said it any better about owning a plastic frame weapon or a "Tupperware" gun considering I am pretty much in line with old school pistol's ( steel frame ) as mentioned above which is part of the reason why I have not posted on this thread because some things are better ( opinion ) left alone or not said at all concerning a weapon or pistol of your choice . X-2 Divo 

OFFSHORE GINGER said:
DivotMaker said:
I agree with the comments about buying a larger-frame pistol for fun target shooting. 

First off I could not have said it any better about owning a plastic frame weapon or a "Tupperware" gun considering I am pretty much in line with old school pistol's ( steel frame ) as mentioned above which is part of the reason why I have not posted on this thread because some things are better ( opinion ) left alone or not said at all concerning a weapon or pistol of your choice . X-2 Divo

All opinions welcome here, Artie! ;)

Our licenses came in today,  time to get used to carrying. It didn't take as long as anticipated, 17 days with the 4th in there to boot.  Not too bad!

DivotMaker said:
Nice!  Now get to training! ;)

Yep, just waiting for my ammo to arrive. I ordered 500 rounds and it is taking an eternity to get here. I chose the "Free Shipping" option that first time customers can use and they waited a week before even shipping it! A WEEK! On top of that, they shipped regular old UPS ground! Snail speed. It's taking another week to get to me. So, I ordered it on 7th and won't have it until Monday the 20th :(

Buncha Jacklegs over there :P

You get penalized for taking them up there offer it seems. I guess I should've paid the $14.50 shipping costs.

That's why you buy 5000 rounds at a time and buy another 5000 every time you go shooting.  Soon you will have a nice stock of ammo.  Any caliber that gets below at least 10k rounds is just not enough.

Trip said:
That's why you buy 5000 rounds at a time and buy another 5000 every time you go shooting.  Soon you will have a nice stock of ammo.  Any caliber that gets below at least 10k rounds is just not enough.
LOL.........................or maybe it is time to start re- loading your own Ammo . Ha Ha Ha

OFFSHORE GINGER said:
LOL.........................or maybe it is time to start re- loading your own Ammo . Ha Ha Ha

Did it for accuracy at one time, don't care to anymore.

RG said:
DivotMaker said:
Nice!  Now get to training! ;)

Yep, just waiting for my ammo to arrive. I ordered 500 rounds and it is taking an eternity to get here. I chose the "Free Shipping" option that first time customers can use and they waited a week before even shipping it! A WEEK! On top of that, they shipped regular old UPS ground! Snail speed. It's taking another week to get to me. So, I ordered it on 7th and won't have it until Monday the 20th :(

Buncha Jacklegs over there :P

You get penalized for taking them up there offer it seems. I guess I should've paid the $14.50 shipping costs.

Where'd you buy it from?

you can use something like gunbot.net to search for ammo deals

my little city in the news making people buy more guns?  My office complex has been all over it because we have been the location for the press conferences.  Pretty crazy how interconnected everything is in a small town.  He lived in a coworkers neighborhood, he use to intern at our company, a few coworkers went to school with him at UTC.  Sad day for sure here.  Never expected terrorism to come here.

I was buying from Georgi Arms, but Freedom Munitions is cheaper now. These are my new carry rounds in my 9 and 38 spl. Watch some of the videos they are sweet.

Pork Belly said:
I was buying from Georgi Arms, but Freedom Munitions is cheaper now. These are my new carry rounds in my 9 and 38 spl. Watch some of the videos they are sweet.

I'll check them out.  Have you had any shipping problems, like RG, Brian?

Like Britney Spears said "Ooops! I did it again" ;)

Stay tuned for the details, it will be later in the week before I divulge what I am talking about. Sorry :P

Don't you just hate when people do that to you? LOL

Back