Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass

Paul Case Luca

Should you have a separate controller (e.g. Auber PID controller, etc) and wish to bypass the internal control, the modification is simple.

See the attached photo - it's worth a thousand words. Basically open the back of the unit, remove one layer of insulation (very itchy insulation), remove the two female quick disconnects, insert male-male jumper of your liking, wrap with electrical tape, and put everything back together again.

CAUTION: only do this if you chose to do so. Suspect take care to always use with your Auber or you may well likely burn up your unit. Also take care with reassembly to ensure high temp wire remains at the bottom and that your new jumper is at the very top (ever feel the bottom of your SI unit, it's quite hot and that high temp insulation wire is there for a reason). Lastly I don't know if I'd operate my SI above 275 F for any extended period of time.

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 2,220
Steve,
I bypassed my #3 controller today. Did the same thing with a Siamese prong connector attaching the white/white-black wires. Then attached the Siamese to the outward-facing spade on the controller. No wire on the other spade now. I also swapped out the 9ft power cord on the smoker to the Auber and vise versa. All lights on, no fuses blown. Re-programmed initial Auber CO-1 to 250F for 3.7h, for Happy New Year initial seasoning.

Few things...

Good idea on swapping power cords!

I was going to shorten the SI cord and just reterminate. Temporarily I have about 8' of cord tie wrapped on the cart.

After looking at a few photos I realize I have a few cords hanging near the back-bottom of the smoker. That area gets pretty warm. So I was then thinking to but a longer cord.

How hard was it to swap the power cords? Did you need to solder anything?

Lastly, I'm thinking its good I have three young sons, am home safe on New Years Eve watching them, and also able to learn a bit on this forum on one of two hobbies I have: barbecue and football ( go Duke ).

Hey Steve, you're not the only one home on New Year's Eve!  This is a great night to stay home and watch the celebrations on TV - and catch-up on the smokin' info!  lol.  Happy New Year!

Enjoying my time at home too.  2 of my kids went out...  one home with me and the wife.  Its movie night.

Been thinking of how to rearrange power cords.  Not sure if I'm bold enought to swap them.  I'm not that hany.

Swapping cords really isn't that hard but make sure to properly ground the SI so as to have a good path for faults if they should occur. Routing the power through the Auber then to the SI is fine, but make sure to add a ground to give that extra protection.

Well you all made me do it... ;D  I decided to replace the cords with more winter friendly cords that don't get so stiff and while I had the panel open and was getting itchy anyway I also bypassed the analog thermostat.  And since I had everything out I also replaced the Auber PID cord with a longer more flexible one (this was a bit harder as soldering was involved and not something I do very often.)

Generally I'm not one to do mods on something I just bought for fear of breaking something especially the Auber PID, so use your own judgment if this is for you or not and willing to take the associated risks.  Figured I should add a disclaimer...  ;)

Here are some pics of my process...

Bypassing

Attachments

• WP_20140101_004.jpg
    WP_20140101_004.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,537
  • WP_20140101_005.jpg
    WP_20140101_005.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,557
  • WP_20140101_006.jpg
    WP_20140101_006.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,376
Smoker Cord Replacement
I'd suggest if you have Auber PID to ensure your cord end fits, mine almost didn't due to fuse on the back as seen in last pic.

Attachments

• WP_20140101_013.jpg
    WP_20140101_013.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,372
  • WP_20140101_007.jpg
    WP_20140101_007.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,408
  • WP_20140101_003.jpg
    WP_20140101_003.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • WP_20140101_001.jpg
    WP_20140101_001.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,556
Auber Pid Cord Replacement
1st pic - my original cord was loose since zip tie that holds it slipped as you see
2nd pic - new cord all soldered in
3td pic - Don't for get to make sure ground is attached to screw when putting back together

Attachments

• WP_20140101_009.jpg
    WP_20140101_009.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,406
  • WP_20140101_011.jpg
    WP_20140101_011.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,305
  • WP_20140101_010.jpg
    WP_20140101_010.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,325
Great.

So that answered my question!

Soldering required for the Auber.

I'm going to leave well enough alone for now... Once it gets a bit warmer in the spring to work in the garage I will also modify the Auber and the SI so the cords are perfect length.

Ps go Wisconsin.

Looks great guys,  I ordered my Auber the day after Christmas so it should be showing up any day now.  I do like the idea of shortening the cord as well as adding a more winter friendly power cord that's more flexible.

I will be using this as a guide when I make the change.

I'm so glad I changed the cords.  I did a test with the new cord and old cord laying outside for a an hour.  Black one I could wave around like a stick.  New yellow one remained nice and flexible.  Granted changing the Aubers cord is a bit more work due to the soldering involved, but it was worth it for me.

Wik said:
I'm so glad I changed the cords.  I did a test with the new cord and old cord laying outside for a an hour.  Black one I could wave around like a stick.  New yellow one remained nice and flexible.  Granted changing the Aubers cord is a bit more work due to the soldering involved, but it was worth it for me.

Yeah Wik, I don't think the stock cord is "Arctic-Certified!"  LOL!!  You guys in the Great White North definitely need stuff that's "freeze-proof!" 

My wife's from Minnesota, so I know what you're going through! ;)

Those alternative cords are more likely to have higher levels of silicone in them instead of PVC, thus keeping them more flexible. But they might not have the overall resistance of wear over time. Just me 2 cents. But the should be fine.

Your probably right as even the outer shell is thinner than similar ones I had bought in the past.  However I'm thinking the original would have cracked over time if I tried to move or bend it when below zero.

One thing I should add is make sure you use at least 14 gauge cord as 16 is too light and would likely overheat.  My original cord was 14 gauge so that is what I replaced it with.

great pictures and great idea.  I think I will tackle this project...  but not until summer. 

Back