How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe

Ribs on the top rack of a #1 is what concerns me about the 1" from the top placement.  Ribs laid flat would seem to really block air flow above them and thus block the probe.  I'm just an outside observer so that's why I'm interested to see real #1 owners chime in. 

Thanks for the concern Dave, looks like just you and me are talking about this. I even called Steve this morning and have not heard back from him. I did find out the auber shipped today and should have it by the end of the week. So looks like will have some work to do over the weekend. As going to do the bypass switch also. Just not sure about switching cords yet. That maybe be down the road.. Tony did tell me if I needed help he would lend a hand. But, he did not use the auber in his #1. Noticed he now has a 1, 2 and 3. I wonder if he will also get the #4 later.  ;D

Bill, I'll pray for you and the drilling a hole in your smoker.  I'm glad that I decided against the bypass switch if that meant drilling another hole.  The SS on these babies are like armor.  LOL!

elkins20 said:
Thanks for the concern Dave, looks like just you and me are talking about this. I even called Steve this morning and have not heard back from him. I did find out the auber shipped today and should have it by the end of the week. So looks like will have some work to do over the weekend. As going to do the bypass switch also. Just not sure about switching cords yet. That maybe be down the road.. Tony did tell me if I needed help he would lend a hand. But, he did not use the auber in his #1. Noticed he now has a 1, 2 and 3. I wonder if he will also get the #4 later.  ;D

Bill, go with 1" from the top.  Mounting under the top shelf is based on Auber's recommendations for the Auber.  Terrible position!  If you smoke something like a pork butt, the probe that low is in the way!  Ribs will not interfere with it in the #1 (in the high position).  You have to cut the racks in two, and you leave space between them, so they won't get against the probe.  I have a perm probe for the Little Guy, but just haven't installed it yet.  I am confident about the 1" from the top position, though.  Most stable heat, and it's up out of the way.

And, no to the #4...Pretty sure that would be way over the top, and I'd definitely have to admit I have a problem, then! ???

You made me do a belly laugh with the no on the #4 with tears in the eyes.  ;D, I will follow your lead and go one inch from the top and around the center of the smoker. I will make a list of parts tomorrow and head to lowe's. Found a full bag of female connectors on the work bench. So may not need to buy them.

Hey All,

Quick question about the permanent Auber temp probe.  Is the 1" from the top install recommendation for all models, or only the #1?  I have the Model #2 and am considering purchasing an Auber controller.  If I do, I'll definitely do the permanent probe installation, and am trying to determine the correct mounting location.

Thanks.

Pretty sure the 1 inch from the top applies to all smokers. I don't recall reading anything to the contrary.

I finally relocated the box probe in my 3D today. Suggestions on how to best cover the hole being left behind?

Attachments

• Photo - Google Photos 2017-12-16 19-32-34.png.jpg
    Photo - Google Photos 2017-12-16 19-32-34.png.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 497
jpowell said:
I finally relocated the box probe in my 3D today. Suggestions on how to best cover the hole being left behind?

Jason, sorry for the late reply!  The best way to fill the left-behind hole is a little hi-temp silicone sealant, such as Permatex brand from the auto parts store...works great.

I use the  K  type connector did it a little different , put in a female plug on the back. Like many of
you the weather was driving me crazy trying to protect the Auber , now it`s on the kitchen counter
problem solved  ( for me ) go to " my set up " LTS

HTH  Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 468
    not very computer savvy what makes the pix go sideways  ???

Thanks  Paul

Paul, the sideways pics is usually a product of how you import them into the forum.  I have best luck editing through a simple editor (size and crop).  Seems folks uploading directly from phones have the problem of sideways pics.  Might try saving them to computer before uploading.

thanks Tony,  I did transfer from my phone to the comp. Some not all turn sideways I guess it`s
OK if you`re laying down

LTS said:
  thanks Tony,  I did transfer from my phone to the comp. Some not all turn sideways I guess it`s
OK if you`re laying down

I've found if I upload directly from my phone, pictures are sideways. If I copy them to my computer, they look upright, but they still end up sideways if I upload from from my computer. If I OPEN them in some sort of image editing program (like Photoshop), then just RESAVE them, they upload fine. Even though they looked upright in the image editing software, resaving them fixes this issue.

I have found that after saving to my desktop if I will rotate them 360* (4 90* rotations on mine) they will load vertical. Crazy but it seems to work.

LTS said:
    not very computer savvy what makes the pix go sideways  ???

Thanks  Paul
Usually it is from posting pictures from your phone. I save mine on the desk top and edit before posting to eliminate the sideways pics.

Back