Major Product Release! Model 2D & 3D - Integrated PID Digital Smoker

On the new models , if power goes off for a min. Or so after setting up your smoke does it kill your setup or does it just reset and continue to smoke, why I'm  asking is that where I live my power will blink off and on about 3 times a week and I would hate to set up a smoke for 5 hrs and leave for 3 hours to come back and the smoker has been off the whole time ,lol
Thanks

coyote, it would come back on but restart the program from step 1 and/or the timer from "0".  If you were in program 2 or 3 of your cook, it would reboot and start from program 1. 

coyote said:
On the new models , if power goes off for a min. Or so after setting up your smoke does it kill your setup or does it just reset and continue to smoke, why I'm  asking is that where I live my power will blink off and on about 3 times a week and I would hate to set up a smoke for 5 hrs and leave for 3 hours to come back and the smoker has been off the whole time ,lol
Thanks

As long as the switch is "on," it will restart at the beginning of the set program.  This is the case if you are also in one of the pre-set "recipe" settings.  I tested this during the weekend smoke.  I selected setting P1 (235 until IT 195, 140 hold for 4 hours).  I switched the unit off and on, and it returned to that program.  If you are on step 2 or 3, when the power resets, it should cycle through to where you were pretty quick, unless your first step was a time setting, in which case you'll have to manually change the program.

So that would mess up a smoke, untill I came back and reset the PID right or am I missing something ?
Thanks

coyote said:
So that would mess up a smoke, untill I came back and reset the PID right or am I missing something ?
Thanks

Possibly, depending on your program.  We're getting into something that is characteristic of any digital controller.  Those of us used to the Auber PID know this, and this is nothing new.  If you experience frequent power outages, stick with the analog controller if you want to be certain you will never "mess up a smoke." 

This brings up another point, though...unattended smokes.  While it's true we don't have to sit by our pits and constantly monitor them, common sense dictates that we be "within range" while using any electric cooking device.  Not many folks put a roast in the oven and leave the house all day, so why would we when using a smoker?  If the power goes off, go out and check your program.  Nothing, repeat nothing, is ever going to be 100% foolproof or reliable in weird situations.  I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)

Thanks, and I don"t leave every smoke but when I have a 5- 10 hr one I may be gone 2-3 hr some times ? So I think I'll stay with my old #2, seems it will do.
Thanks
Oh sorry to start this , just wanted to know if I might need a PID.

coyote said:
Thanks, and I don"t leave every smoke but when I have a 5- 10 hr one I may be gone 2-3 hr some times ? So I think I'll stay with my old #2, seems it will do.
Thanks

No problem!  I'm a big fan of the PID (may not have noticed ;) ), but like anything, there are limitations.  Certainly nothing wrong with the original controller, at all.  I just believe the rare circumstances of "all the ways" a PID might mess-up doesn't outweigh the benefit of programmable, accurate control.  You can find a point of failure in virtually everything.  But, I've been using the PID for over 2 years, and have never experienced a problem, so I'm pretty confident in the operation and reliability.  Wasn't trying to be snarky with you, just trying to point out that some folks demand too much of their equipment, or sometimes have too much faith in it to operate unattended.

coyote said:
Thanks

I use my HeaterMeter PID while I go to work all day. I monitor it periodically with my cell phone or any internet browser. You can read about it on this thread:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2765

Just got my new 3D seasoned and decided to try 12 pounds of Owens honey bbq sticks. Found the controller was a breeze to learn after 5 minutes. set up 120 for 2hr, 140 for 2hr,160 for 2.5 hr and then 185 till meat hits 155 degrees. Made a homemade jerky dryer type fan for the top. will post pictures later with results. Any and all recommendations accepted from those with more experience. Thanks

Sounds like you could use an APC battery backup for more than just this.

coyote said:
Thanks

DivotMaker said:
LongBall said:
Sounds like you could use an APC battery backup for more than just this.

PERFECT solution, for folks with power issues!!  Can't believe I didn't think of that!
Maybe because power drain would require a huge battery pack for anything more than a sporadic couple minutes off scenario. 

What a great update! Still don't regret my analog #2 purchase somewhat recently. With any kind of technology there will always be the next best thing.

No way I'd be able to tackle the retrofit myself with a sad lack of tools.

Looking forward to the reviews!

Jeff - you have a great smoker!  The 2D/3D option is great, but it will NOT produce any finer food than you can in your stock #2.  It fills a need for the BBQ geeks out there, who love the control, but it doesn't make it "better," by any means! (My words, not yours).  Thanks for the compliments, though!

DivotMaker said:
Jeff - you have a great smoker!  The 2D/3D option is great, but it will NOT produce any finer food than you can in your stock #2.  It fills a need for the BBQ geeks out there, who love the control, but it doesn't make it "better," by any means! (My words, not yours).  Thanks for the compliments, though!

Exactly! I'm not one of those guys that has to control the temp exactly. Not at all. So long as the food times out how I want it, I could care less how it happens (so long as I know how it happens lol).

Don't regret my decision at all. The way I see it. Keep it simple. ;)

I typically am kind of a computer geek and am pretty analytical. But, for some reason I have never really felt the drive to get an Auber.

However, depending on the price and ease of install for the retrofits that are supposed to be coming I am going to be in a quandary about whether it really means enough to me to add this on. The cost/benefit analysis will ensue. :)

If I would have recently purchased a new smoker without it, I honestly would not be that bummed. Like Tony said, the Auber users are not going to be able to produce any better product.

The key benefit as I see it is to be able to schedule the program to make the smoke for set times and temperatures and move to resting mode at the end of a smoke to make it even more "Lazy Q".

I don't worry about smoke box temp anymore and only probe it if I am doing a single piece of meat and have an unused probe from my Maverick. The swings just don't bother me and don't affect my smokes.

The closer temps do have a benefit when smoking fish and jerky where you need to keep temps below certain temps. But that is the only time where the temp swings could be a problem.

The bottom line is that both the traditional models and the new "D" models are top of the line and really beat up on the competition.

I find it both curious and interesting that owners of old models are considering retrofitting the integral Auber vs. the plug & play version solely on perceived moisture resistance.  The cost differential for that upgrade just doesn't make sense to me. 

Back