Major Product Release! Model 2D & 3D - Integrated PID Digital Smoker

DivotMaker said:
Yeah Greg, the little patches of skin were fairly crispy, but they looked terrible! :o

That's interesting....I wonder if you did 350 or 375, if the chicken would get done before the skin shrank so much? Not that I care that much. I'm happy with my standard controller and feeding the skin to the dog! Love chicken skin, but I have plenty of other chicken skin eating opportunities. This is about the meat.

Tony,

I think I read this somewhere on this thread, but wanted to confirm.

I can set the temp of the final cook (195 degrees) and then once it reaches temp, set the temp to drop no lower than 160 degrees to hold the meat until I can pull it from the smoker?

Thanks Greg

gregbooras said:
Tony,

I think I read this somewhere on this thread, but wanted to confirm.

I can set the temp of the final cook (195 degrees) and then once it reaches temp, set the temp to drop no lower than 160 degrees to hold the meat until I can pull it from the smoker?

Thanks Greg
Greg,
This is true.  However, the drop from your cooking temp to holding temp is a lot longer than one would think and depending on the meat, it will continue to cook and climb several degrees internally before hitting the holding temp.  One has to do a little guessing with the final IT to account for the climb while the box temp is dropping. 

It will be, Don.  Soon, I hope!  We just need to finish the instructions, since it isn't really a "plug and play" setup.

Hello:  smokinwannabee back and am real close to having saved enough to pull the trigger on a smoker.  Since I last looked the Digital Smokers have been added.  I am old school, not much of a tech guy and am wondering what the Auber means, and what PID means, + what benefits you are getting for the additional $200.00 ?  Thanks for any light you can shed before purchasing. 

smokinwannabee said:
Hello:  smokinwannabee back and am real close to having saved enough to pull the trigger on a smoker.  Since I last looked the Digital Smokers have been added.  I am old school, not much of a tech guy and am wondering what the Auber means, and what PID means, + what benefits you are getting for the additional $200.00 ?  Thanks for any light you can shed before purchasing.
Primary benefit is more set it and forget it programming.  The Auber automates a lot of the temperature setting and adjusting during the smoke period.  With a "warming feature" program, it can be done long before you get home and it is ready to eat when you walk in the door. 

It also all but eliminates temperature swings during the smoke but that doesn't justify the expense for my style of smoking like the programming benefits do.

smokinwannabee said:
would this eliminate the need for a thermometer / meat probe?

Yes.  The meat probe comes with the unit, and it plugs into the end of the controller.  It's important that you use the integrated probe, if you are cooking to internal temperature, because it tells the controller the temp. 

Back