"Big Red" is HERE!!

Jason,

I just saw your post - thanks for collecting all that info!  Agree about the data privacy -- seems like a reasonable ask. 

Thanks again
Chris

Any idea what and if any price difference there is between the Big Red and the WSD-1500H-W? Pro's or con's to either or?

Thanks, Tim

Grady said:
Any idea what and if any price difference there is between the Big Red and the WSD-1500H-W? Pro's or con's to either or?

Thanks, Tim

Tim,
The Big Red is built and and you will have two additional probes. If you go with the WSD-1500H-W, it is external and you will not have the cabinet probe.
Here is a link with more info on the 1500
https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/WSD-1500H_manual.pdf
Best Greg

Tim,
The Big Red is built and and you will have two additional probes. If you go with the WSD-1500H-W, it is external and you will not have the cabinet probe.
Here is a link with more info on the 1500
https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/WSD-1500H_manual.pdf
Best Greg

Thanks Greg. Am I understanding correctly that Big Red will do everything that the 1500 will do and no type of modifications will be needed, such as re-wiring like many of the members did when they installed the 1500?  Have the prices been put out for Big Red yet?
Thank ya, Tim

Tim - The wifi model smokers which have the Big Red have a built-it cabinet probe. The smokers also have a solid state relay (SSR) attached to the cabinet. Converting an analog to the Big Red while not impossible will be labor intensive; also I do not believe Steve is planning on providing any engineered drawings to do such a conversion but I could be wrong.  The 1500 wifi will give you what you need with no need to rewire the smoker unless you want to. A second meat probe is optional.

In addition to what David said...
You will have a built in heat sink while the plug n play model uses ambient temp. You also won’t have another piece of equipment keep up with and the capability to have 2 meat probes, 1 for programming use and one meat only OR, if you smoke by temp only or time only 2 built in meat probes while only 1 with the plug n play. As far as price difference goes, currently the plug n play is $278 while the difference between the Smokin-it Big Red model is about $225. Having owned both, I favor and have chosen the Big Red Smokin-it upgrade in my case, but would also favor it if I were purchasing a new smoker.

EFGM said:
In addition to what David said...
You will have a built in heat sink while the plug n play model uses ambient temp. You also won’t have another piece of equipment keep up with and the capability to have 2 meat probes, 1 for programming use and one meat only OR, if you smoke by temp only or time only 2 built in meat probes while only 1 with the plug n play. As far as price difference goes, currently the plug n play is $278 while the difference between the Smokin-it Big Red model is about $225. Having owned both, I favor and have chosen the Big Red Smokin-it upgrade in my case, but would also favor it if I were purchasing a new smoker.

Grady, my apologies. I thought you were trying to decide on a D model vs a D WiFi. Think I picked up you bought a #2 from another member. So upgrading to a Big Red is not possible with the current upgrade. Your better choice in this case would be the auber wifi plug n play. Watch for a sale on it because in the interim you can put out some awesome grub!

No and no.  But you can get the stand alone unit from Auber.  It should work just fine.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702

Are the Big Red upgrades still available to purchase, I have been checking the last couple of months and have not seen any on the site...maybe I am not looking in the right place.  Would love to upgrade my D model to wifi.

Hawkeye said:
Are the Big Red upgrades still available to purchase, I have been checking the last couple of months and have not seen any on the site...maybe I am not looking in the right place.  Would love to upgrade my D model to wifi.

I would call/text Steve about this. I was not able to find them on the site either. Hopefully he would be able to hook you up still.

Back