Auto Tuning - Group Results

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1041.msg4314#msg4314
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1015.msg4067#msg4067

those are the two I found.  Both by johnnytex where he says he got the 500*F number from Steve.  There are several posts by you (DivotMaker) saying you got a 350*F number from Steve.  Could not find any posts by Steve or any info on smokin-it.com regarding the rated temp value.

I'd love to know the truth, not the safe margin for warranty claim value, and not the head buried in the sand value.
Really, the stainless will hold up fine and so will the element and wiring.  It's the insulation rating that we need to worry about; at least for me, having removed the original controller.
I've modified my SI3 and plan to keep it for a long time.
I don't plan to cook above 250*F often, but like to run the temp up to 400*F for a good crisp/bark/sear/burn for a short while at times.

FunkedOut said:
I'd love to know the truth, not the safe margin for warranty claim value, and not the head buried in the sand value.
Really, the stainless will hold up fine and so will the element and wiring.  It's the insulation rating that we need to worry about; at least for me, having removed the original controller.
I've modified my SI3 and plan to keep it for a long time.
I don't plan to cook above 250*F often, but like to run the temp up to 400*F for a good crisp/bark/sear/burn for a short while at times.

Funk, we're both right.  Early on, when JohnnyTex talked to Steve, the 500 number was mentioned.  However, 350 is the number he is sticking with now.  Not to say the box can't support a higher temperature, just be assured it will be solely at your own risk.  Personally, I'll think you'll find trying to take your #3 to 400 will be a painfully slow process, and not worth the effort (your meat will be done way before it hits that temp).  If you need a high-temp finish, just pre-heat your oven so you can transfer to it straight out of the smoker.  This is a smoker, not an oven.  Steve told me he will not endorse going above 350 in his smokers.

Thanks for checking in again on this, Divot.
I'd venture to guess that materials have not changed from 2013. 
I did buy my #3 about the time johnnytex made those posts.

Totally agree on the at-my-own-risk part.  I never was under the impression that these products came with a warranty anyway.

As far as getting to 400F, the #3 gets there in 40 minutes from being completely cold.  It's good to go.  8)

At any rate, 350*F is plenty high enough for a smoker.  Plenty high.
Thanks again.

FunkedOut said:
I never was under the impression that these products came with a warranty anyway.

As far as getting to 400F, the #3 gets there in 40 minutes from being completely cold.  It's good to go.  8)

At any rate, 350*F is plenty high enough for a smoker.  Plenty high.
Thanks again.

Warranty is 3 years - longest of any like these! ;)  400 in 40 minutes is great!  I haven't gone higher than 235 in my #3 yet, but that big element does heat up fast.  I tried 325, with chicken, in my #2 and it was done long before hitting 325!

"At any rate, 350*F is plenty high enough for a smoker.  Plenty high." -- Agreed!

Installed the probe and by passed the switch yesterday. Auto tuned today with a large brick and a can of water. Set the program, it didn't follow it, and it ranged from the high 120s to the high 170s.

the final #s
P= 80
I= 600
D= 303

I will be testing it out tomorrow on a few racks of ribs.

allmann said:
Installed the probe and by passed the switch yesterday. Auto tuned today with a large brick and a can of water. Set the program, it didn't follow it, and it ranged from the high 120s to the high 170s.

the final #s
P= 80
I= 600
D= 303

I will be testing it out tomorrow on a few racks of ribs.

You can also set the autotune to straight temp, like 225 for 4 hours, and let it process.  It should tune pretty close, but your numbers don't look out of line.

just an idea for you all.
Instead of using sand or bricks for a load during your autotune,
use salt.
I have been using table salt and when I am finished I end up with smokey salt that I can use on my eggs or anything.

I have a SI 2 with an Auber 1800 watt pid. I mounted the permenent temp probe just above the stock location.

That is an interesting idea, but you would need 2 small loaf pans full of salt. Not sure if would want that much smoked salt.

Glad to have you with us, Stock!  Now that you're here, head over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.  Also, add a first name and town to your signature line so we know who our new friend is - you've probably noticed we all do that here. 

Adding some salt on an autotune is not a bad idea.  Personally, I don't use wood during the tune, and think it would take an awful lot of salt to simulate the heat sink effect of a 8 lb butt, but you could.  It would be a lifetime supply of smoked salt!

Not knocking the idea, but to me, the autotune is not a time for any kind of food production.  No need to use wood, as this is just a utilitarian exercise to tune the Auber.  Just my 2¢..

allmann said:
divot you don't think the heat of the wood burning adds to the heat?

Hey Kevin, yes the wood smoking will add some heat to the internal temp. of the smoker. Just normally people will not use wood on an auto tune.

allmann said:
divot you don't think the heat of the wood burning adds to the heat?

Theoretically, I suppose the smoldering wood does provide some heat.  But, since it is not flaming, the heat will be negligible.  Plus, I've proven, to myself, that autotuning without wood works perfectly.  You have to remember that the Auber is gauging how fast the element heats up, and when to throttle it back to not overshoot the set point, and then how to maintain it.  Since the most heat, from the wood, will be generated at the start of the heating process, it would be pretty stable while the Auber is autotuning.  So, the rate at which the element heats and cools will not change, based on the wood burn; it will only read a higher box temp while doing so.  Adding wood is a personal choice...not necessary, but OK if it makes you feel better about the process.

I have a wall mounted probe
P - 87
I- 600
D - 273

Not sure what that means but that is the numbers after I auto tuned.

I'm getting ready to do my auto tune and as I'm ready they these posts I noticed that some talked about disconnecting the temp prob that was factory installed in the smoker. Is this what you are supposed to do when u install the Auber system? I did install the wall mount twmp prob so my results would be consistent. I am ready to reinstall the back cover and just thought if I needed to disconnect the temp prob I would do it now. If so how do u guys disconnect it? Just unplug it? Thanks for the help! You guys have been great. Lots of useful info on these forms!

No need to disconnect the stock probe.  Unless you bypass the stock controller, it needs the temp probe to function correctly when you set the dial to 250.

Back