Names - New Members, Please Read This Before Posting Your Intro!

Mark, Welcome from Southwest Arkansas! There is no comparison between the SI #3 you just ordered and the "Big Box" store smoker that you have. You will enjoy your new SI!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  Looking forward to sharing info and experiences with you all very soon!

I do have one question, but please pardon me if this isn't the correct thread to ask it:
How do you guys handle a situation where you're 4 hours into say an 8 hour smoke, but you want to add something that may only take 4 hours.  So you want to add it midway in order for everything to finish about the same time.  6oz of wood may be perfect for the 8 hours because as you all know meat stops taking good smoke after the internal temp reaches 140.  I would think that the amount of smoke is diminished significantly after 4 hours (is what I'm guessing anyway).  However whenever you add the other meat, it has not reached that temp and needs smoke.  How do you combat that, or am I just overthinking it and the smoke is still significant enough?

Any comments would be appreciated.  The #3 will be arriving shortly!

Mark, I have smoke different meats/foods in my #2. If I need to smoke some butts and ribs, I do the butts and rest them in a cooler and smoke the ribs while they are resting. I prefer to only open my smoker twice - once to put the meat in and once to take it out. This works for me but I am sure someone will provide you with some better answers.

Got the new baby in and seasoning it now!  And took a pic with his big brother!

Ribs tomorrow!

Attachments

• 0D74069D-5EDC-4D96-AA93-08EB129C0FA5.jpeg
    0D74069D-5EDC-4D96-AA93-08EB129C0FA5.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 500
  • ED655BE9-895C-4F39-B65D-A023BFB74D21.jpeg
    ED655BE9-895C-4F39-B65D-A023BFB74D21.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 509
mduplantis said:
Got the new baby in and seasoning it now!  And took a pic with his big brother!

Ribs tomorrow!

Big brother has turned his back on the new baby  :( I see a frown on his face.

If you absolutely, positively know you are going to add food halfway through a smoke, keep a rack out and load it up with the second item.  Then it is a quick open, slide the loaded rack in and lock the door down.  Only fly in the ointment on that procedure is no smoke, or very little left.  So you might as well do the long smoke first and the short smoke second (with wood).  Enjoy!

Thanks David. I’ll either go that route or start it all together and pull off the shorter smoke item and just foil it. Sometimes the obvious answer is so far away.  I’m just over thinking it I’m sure.

In other news, got some spare ribs going as I’m typing. Already prepped a brisket and gonna throw it on late this evening for a 20+ hour smoke. 

Thanks for making the new guy feel welcomed!

Good Morning from Northern Wisconsin Just got my #1 smoker If it ever quits snowing I will fire it up.Had a masterbuilt for some years Time to upgrade, My Name is Richard old retired meat cutter.This is a great forum Can not wait to get started.

Hello, I've been reading for a while. Trying to decide between a #1 or a #2.
I have an electric stainless bullet smoker that I have never been happy with.
Any and all advice would be welcomed.

Welcome Fred from SE Arizona.  Regarding a 1 or a 2:  If you can afford the 2, get it. You may need the extra room from time to time. Better to have too much space and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Hi,

Howard from the Frederick Maryland area. Been smoking only about 3 years. I'm considering the #2 for my second smoker and I'm sure I'll cull some good advice from the forum.

Cheers,

Howard

Hi everyone - this is Ruth from the Philadelphia area.  Just ordered Model #2D, and can't wait to receive. We're a fish family, so intend on smoking all kinds of fish and veggies.  I've been using a stovetop smoker for years, finally decided to up my game.  This forum is great, I'm reading and reading - gettin' ready!  Hope the learning curve isn't too steep...

Back