60-day Umai Dry-aged Choice bone-in Rib Roast

Roostershooter said:
Thanks for the update.  Did you smoke your prime rib roast?  How large was it and how long did it take?

I roasted the first one. I'm not sure how many pounds it was, but it was a "3-bone" roast. So about 6-7 slices. I wanted to taste the effect of the 60-day dry age without introducing smoke flavor into the mix. I have a second roast in the freezer that I will smoke. I used America's Test Kitchen roasting technique, which starts in a 200 degree oven for several hours, then with the oven shut off for a while, then under the broiler. Similar to how you would cook it in the smoker.

Ok, I had read here that a dry aged roast will cook much faster than a "regular" roast.  Sounds like the time frame was not affected in your meal taking about the same amount of time.

Thanks for the write up Kari.  I don’t know if you’ve done the 45 damage in the past but based on what you said I think this will be spot on for you. No tacky spots on the one I did as well.

And your experience here saved me from trying anything further in the future.

I’ll be interested to hear how the smoked roast turns out as well.

barelfly said:
Thanks for the write up Kari.  I don’t know if you’ve done the 45 damage in the past but based on what you said I think this will be spot on for you. No tacky spots on the one I did as well.

If you look at my picture #2 of the bone side after removing the bag, you can see some thin brownish lines/streaks on the bones, left by what I think were small wrinkles in the bag. These are the tacky spots I mentioned, that had a somewhat unpleasant odor. In the future if I run across these, I would rinse them off before trimming, rather than spreading them around. Photo included here also.

Attachments

• 2-unwrapped.jpg
    2-unwrapped.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 543
Great review, Kari!  The things you have cited are why I'm not crazy about doing the really long dry aging.  I love the taste at 28 days.  If I started to trim, and got hit with a funky smell, I wouldn't ever do it again!  I, too, eat/cook with my nose, and a funky smell would totally turn me off!  More power to those that enjoy the 60+ day aging, but count me out.

I've seen lot of people do bone-in without any trouble. I'm not 100% convinced that it is the issue. I've also seen similar comments about the surface smell with the umai bags in general for 60+ days. My feeling is that bone-in is fine, but if going longer than 45 days, the porous bones might have a lot of extra "flavor". So be prepared for that if eating the bones. And if going more than 45 days in general, and you find an unpleasant surface smell, and you notice thin tacky lines that look like they came from small wrinkles in the bag, then rinse off the meat prior to trimming. The inside of my roast was excellent. But I should have rinsed the surface. I watched a youtube video last night of a guy who had the exact same experience as me. He aged for 65 days bone-in, commented on the funky surface smell, and was planning on doing the bones sous vide. And like me, the interior meat smelled good. He even left the crust on his steaks, and liked it better than trimmed. Not sure about that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6qipxJw7rg

Back