Standing Prime Rib Roast on the #3

it is a rib eye roast

I was reading fast and totaly missed the word rib. Although I also blame those wacky butchers that cant use the same names for meat. Where I live that chunk would be labeled "Whole Boneless Ribeye"

That would be a perfect candidate for a 45 day rest in an UMAI drybag before smoking or grilling!

Wess, I would do this the same way as a prime rib and it will be great! Check out the prime rib method in beef that Dovotmaker did and you will have good eats! Can't wait for pics!

Thanks, Bigfoot!  But what wood to use, how much?  What rub to use, with or without mustard base?  Approximately how many people will this size of meat feed?

Really nervous about this because it was high dollar purchase for Christmas dinner.  More help needed and really appreciate everyones help! 

I have saved DivotMakers prime rib method and will refer to that also.  Thanks Bob!

With sides that will easily feed 30-35 people. Most figure just under half pound of meat per person with sides, I like to go for 1/2 per person with sides.

For smoke I love Cherry with Prime Rib. It is good if you may have some guests who are new to smoked food or are unsure if they like it. It will win them over. I would go kind of light as it is so many people like around 4 ounces of total chunks. This will give a nice outside smoke taste without over powering the oh so delicate Prime Rib.

There are several ways to season it, a liberal dose of good old Salt (sea salt of course not the Iodized stuff) and pepper (fresh cracked) is a classic steak house favorite! You could also do a rosemary herb rub, it is fantastic too. Check out this awesome resource (and my second favorite website ) for details on this method. This guy was one of the lead chefs at Cook's Country.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

Wessport,
I do an EVOO binder and a garlic, pepper & salt rub.

Prime1_zpse4cee0fd.jpg

Prime2_zps382b41fa.jpg

For wood, I like to blend.  This smoke was some oak, hickory and plum.

Wessport has a whole ribeye, the same I get for dry-aging ribeye steaks.  It is technically not a "standing rib roast," because it's boneless.  The "standing" part means bone-in (it "stands" on the bones).  Other than that, it is the same cut of meat, and should come out quite tasty!

Thank you so very much for the help.  I think I will cut it in half and do a test smoke this weekend on one half to get an idea of the time and taste.  For my first Rib eye roast, I will just do fresh ground pepper and sea salt with garlic powder.

When I oven roast things like this, I pierce the roast and plug with garlic cloves.  I think this might cause too much moisture loss, what do you think?

BedouinBob said:
Wess, I would do this the same way as a prime rib and it will be great! Check out the prime rib method in beef that Dovotmaker did and you will have good eats! Can't wait for pics!

I read that link the first week I joined the site and thought I saved the info, but now can't find it anywhere.  Can you give me a link, please?

Search for Christmas prime rib in beef and you will find it. Here's the link: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1250.msg5518#msg5518

Back