What influence did the Smokin-It forum have in your buying decision?

Did you visit the forum before making your purchase, and what impact did it have?

• Total voters
Hi Kieth!  So great to have you with us!  Very grateful to hear your kind words!!  Hope you like the chicken!  I also hope to see ya' around the boards often.  Congrats!

Hey, I was the #100 to vote that feedback from this forum was the tipping point for me to order the #3. 

So, what kind of prize do I get for being the 100th to vote the forum as the reason I ordered the #3?

I knew what kind of electric smoker I didn't want.  But, wasn't sure what kind I did want.  The good folks here answered all of my questions and that gave me the confidence to jump in the water.  It was shipped this morning.  I will come back and post after I have had a chance to use it a few times.  Hopefully, I wasn't led astray  :)

I was in the market for an electric smoker a few years ago.  There were several that looked good to me and they all seemed to have the ability to do a fair/good job with hot smoke.  But,  the single most important job I wanted from it was cold smoke as well.  None of those I had researched had the ability.  Now, with all that in mind,  Smokin-It was not even on my radar at that time so don't know if it would have swayed my opinion or not.  Movin up to present days I was lookin once again and stumbled on the Smokin-It unit and the forum.  Seems to be able to do it all and do it well so after lurking around the forum and asking a few questions I pulled the plug and ordered a 3d.  It's sitting in the box at home and I'll be there next weeks to begin to mess around.

ThanX all for helping me to spend my $$$.  And make some fine smoked meat & fish.

Roger from NJ

I knew I wanted a small electric smoker but didn't really know where to start other than the obvious - google and amazon.  A buddy recommended a pellet something-another that did get good reviews but somewhere along the google research path I happened across this forum.  The product itself seemed to get good reviews, and this forum helped make the decision.  I figured a user group of enthusiasts is a) a sign of a good product, and b) helpful in case I run into trouble of any sort.

dcbt said:
I knew I wanted a small electric smoker but didn't really know where to start other than the obvious - google and amazon.  A buddy recommended a pellet something-another that did get good reviews but somewhere along the google research path I happened across this forum.  The product itself seemed to get good reviews, and this forum helped make the decision.  I figured a user group of enthusiasts is a) a sign of a good product, and b) helpful in case I run into trouble of any sort.

You made a great choice. I've had mine going on 5 years and it's as good as day one

I did not spend much time on the forum before my purchase but I definitely utilize when I need suggestions or ideas for a smoke. Thanks for keeping it going.

I love this smoker too much not to throw in positive reviews everywhere I can! I've had my smoker for a few weeks and I've cooked four times on it in two weekends.  This was one of the best purchases I've made and I absolutely love the smoker!  What's better is the support and community you get from people on here!  This is one of the best forums for anything I've ever been a part of.  I've posted questions which i get good answers to and when I've posted my food people have been very nice and often offer tips on how to improve!  Reading through the forum you find that everybody is positive, nice, helpful, and extremely knowledgeable when you have a question.  Using this smoker isn't that hard but this forum is like getting a full library of knowledge on everything you would need to know and people are constantly experimenting with new ideas!  To anybody looking at this forum as part of their research before purchasing I say this.
*The smokin-it smokers are top quality and very easy to use. To the people telling you using an electric smoker isn't "real" BBQ, using a smokin-it smoker will turn out some of the best BBQ you or the naysayers have ever had.
*I've seen and used (but never owned) Cajun Injector and Masterbuilt smokers, and the quality doesn't compare to the smokin-it insulated stainless steel smokers.
*Get the biggest one you think you might need.  It's a theme throughout the forum and if you can afford it totally worth it.  I bought the 3D after some prompting from this forum and I will say the amount of space in it is amazing!
*Being active on the forum is great!  The people here are fantastic and I love spending time on here reading and seeing what other people do and getting feedback on what i'm doing!  There is no forum that is more helpful and positive then this one on any subject!

My research on other forums and mentions of the pros and cons of many different branded electric smokers led me to the Smokin-It Forum. It's here within the forum's wisdom, guidance and encouragement I found just the right smoker for my needs ... the big little #1. Could not be any more happier with my decision.

Smoke On!

Sarge told me I would be a moron if I didn't buy one so I did. And man I am glad I did.

And Sarge did not say that. He was the reason I know about this unit and maybe 90% of why I bought it. He reccomended it on another board and sent me here. I have to admit I love my smoker It is about to be loaded in the camper (3rd time) for Turkey day at the campground. Using this thing that I love. Thanks sarge for the kick in the ass I needed.

Good thing Old Sarge gave you that kick, Ray!  Great to have you with us, and great to see the forum is still the driving force behind SI sales!!  Great job, everyone!

Huge impact!!!
I found out about this forum from a post on Smoking Meat Forum by Old Sarge. (Knew of Cookshack, but had never heard of Smokin-It before that.)
All I can say is "wow!". This forum is full of information to help in the decision-making process. So, I've been lurking here, reading as much as I could for a couple of months before joining, and, ultimately ordering a Smokin-It!
And, although I'm a relative newby to smoking, I already have confidence that there's going to be a short learning curve with the smoker once it arrives, thanks to everyone and all the info on this site. And I know where to go first with questions.
Hope to get to be a contributor at some point. What a great community here!!
Thanks again.
Skip

Huge impact for me also  I was on Smoking Meat forum looking to up grade my 35 year old big Chief for smoking salmon and ribs. Wanted a good quality Electric that I did not have to mess with it as soon as I bought it, a turn key good easy to learn smoker.  Old Sarge sent me here and now waiting till Tuesday to pick mine up.  With out this Forum I am sure I would not of bought my #1  All good reports about all their smokers and very friendly members that answered all my dumb questions I had to ask.

Thanks  Hank R

Yes.  Son-in-law and daughter have a #2, recommended it, and the site.  I spent a couple hours on the site and pulled the trigger.  Great smoker, and the site is invaluable.  Still use the site before every smoke!

Huge impact and with the advice of another current owner, lots of straight forward answers and proven tricks of trade, and bare none the best and hardest working owner that goes out of his way to attain his customers happiness, been smoking for some years now on my brinkman/CS smo25! always find great help/info in the forum.

Simply put, the forum was the bomb!  I would not have invested this much money without reading this forum for a few hours.  I was a doubter when it came to electric smokers.  After 3 weeks with my 3D Wifi, I am spreading the Smokin-It word!

No influence on purchase but has had a substantial impact on purchase satisfaction.  Simply put the forum is both a tech support and how to community that is really a pretty huge value add for owners.

Jason

I still haven't purchased, but the site is beneficial for helping me understand (and learn) about the differences between the 2,2D,3 and 3D models.  Still undecided about a purchase and hoping there's a Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Thanksgiving deal/discount.  Currently comparing to a few similar models from other manufacturers to determine on which to pull the trigger.  Replacing a MES40 Gen1.

Under this section you will find a smoker comparison chart.  A tad out dated but you can easily compare different smokers then and now by visiting the sites.

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4678.0

Here is the updated comparison chart
https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/SmokerCompare1.pdf

Thanks,
Ben

Back