The FINAL way to do a brisket?

• Thread starter Thread starter RG
  • Start date Start date
Jason,

Excellent, living in a small town St Augustine (14K) if you want shopping and specialty items I you travel to Jacksonville about 45 miles away. It's hard to believe for but with only two of us I have memberships with Costco and BJ's (which is like a Sams club).

I know you can buy to much, but when I shop I am looking for certain items. Costco carries really good prime beef at a good price and warm water lobster.

Thanks for the info on the Kansas City Barbeque Society, I have just signed up.

Next week is a travel week, but after that I plan to see what damage I can do at the wholesale club. My neighbor and friend is a fellow smoker, so I will drag him along, I am sure we will both find some great things to buy.

Greg

Enjoy! Post your findings, I'm sure there will be plenty of fun had by you both :)

The link below show a Virtual tour of the inside of Restaurant Depot Warehouse.

Oh my....

Welcome to Restaurant Depot!

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.747993,-122.397096,3a,75y,247.5h,80.7t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sOJlRXSW_faUAAAQYVqtl4w!2e0!3e2!6m1!1e1

Greg

RG said:
The first time you go into one, you're going to be like a 5 year old in Toys'R'Us! Grab one of their "U-Boats" (carts), you're going to need it. I hope you have a freezer, you're going to need it too! They sell lots of pizza stuff (canned tomatoes, bread flour, peels, docks, cutters, you name it). Useful things I've bought are sheet trays (1/4 and 1/2), knives, foil pans, condiment cups and lids, quart containers and lids (for sending leftovers home with people), pizza boxes (because I am a sick individual), aprons, spatulas, pots, latex gloves, degreasers. Man I've dropped a lot of money there now that I think about it. Evil place it is, lol. I buy charcoal there sometimes too. It's got every freakin' thing you can imagine. EVERYTHING!! That's why I said, be prepared to flip your lid and blow a wad of cash. My first trip there was $400.00 and I didn't get half of what I wanted to get :P

The butts are sold in 2 packs, you get a discount for buying it by the case, which technically isn't a case but anything over 49 pounds I believe. Baby backs are sold in 3 packs, briskets are sold as you see in the picture but they do have regular old select briskets and they have what I also buy, the CAB Choice briskets. Much better. I paid $3.53/lb for that brisket today. I used to get them for $2.57/lb not so long ago, meat has really risen. The select is going for $2.99/lb but these prices are for GA, don't know what they'd be in FL but you can let me know!

I've bought whole ribeye choice subprimals there for dry aging, seafood is good too but in FL you already have access to that I'm sure. Desserts, apps, all kinds of stuff. Spices, sauces.......on and on. It's like Disneyland for us cooks, lol.

Price is much better than local FL Costco (they sell Flats only).  It's a 100 mile trip to Miami RD for me!  :'(

Attachments

• Costco Briskit_resized.jpg
    Costco Briskit_resized.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 398
Wow! That is a big difference, and the RD is Angus to boot. I guess I'll not complain any more, lol.

Ok gang, here's where we're at with the Brisket Project. I brined the sucker for about 18 hours or so, took it out of the brine and then injected it with a mixture of Apple Juice and Butcher's Prime. I let it hang out in the fridge for about 6 hours after that, pulled it out and applied the dalmation rub and now it's sitting in the fridge, waiting to go onto the #3 here in a little while. More pics later!

Hanging out in the garage fridge, getting all briney and whatnot
angus05.jpg

Brine rinsed off, got the Horse Needle ready!
angus06.jpg

Inejectorama
angus07.jpg

After the rub
angus08.jpg

S&P goodness!
angus09.jpg

That looks great, Jason.  Can't wait to see and hear about the final results.  Every week I am getting closer to trying a brisket!

You can see by the table that it's a juicy monster! I had to degrease the table after I wrapped that sucker, lol.

Ok folks, here's the verdict. That brisket wasn't my best. I don't have any pictures unless my wife took some with her phone. I honestly don't know if she did or not. This was a big experiment that wasn't cheap and it failed on every level, lol. I didn't get the results I was hoping for but again I am my toughest critic. My guests ate it and liked it so they said. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't very brisket like, more like a roast instead of BBQ.

The good? It was moist.

The bad? The texture was off and it was bland! It needed salt something fierce.

How did it come to this? The reason was brining. It made it juicy and that was nice. What it also did was change the texture and it lost some of its needed firmness. That alone wasn't the culprit though. The butcher paper had a hand in it too. The meat still had that "steamed" effect that you get with foiling things. The butcher paper is supposed to still keep bark intact but when used in conjunction with brining, it made a mushy, no bark having roast. It should be good for chili at least, lol.

Injecting had little to no effect either. It was lost in the brine. I see absolutely no need to brine and inject. A waste of my Butcher's Prime injection. I didn't pick up ANY of the flavor notes that I am used to tasting when I use it. Not ONE hint of it.

The brine I used was Tony's butt brine (lol!) and I think I needed more pink salt in it. There was no faux smoke ring either. My guests are used to seeing that and you know people WANT to see it. It has ZERO to do with taste but they want to see it. In reality, WE WANT TO SEE IT TOO! That's why we try and cheat it with pink salt ;) My wife even was looking for it, she asked me where it was and I told her it was MIA. Oh well.

What did I learn from this $140.00 experiment? If you brine, don't inject. If you brine, don't wrap in butcher paper. If you brine and use dalmation rub and wrap, be prepared for a lot of your rub to end up sitting in the pool of juices and not staying on your meat and doing its job in flavoring the meat! Also, use more salt if planning on this. Actually, more salt in the brine may help with the flavor but say bye bye to a firm bark.

So, in conclusion my advice would be :

1) If you brine, use more salt and pink salt if doing a packer (a flat may be fine with the normal recipe)

2) If you brine, don't waste time injecting. You're not going to notice it. The brine has already taken up residence and is throughout the meat. The cells in the meat have no more room to take in more moisture and you're going to end up with it just being assimilated into the brine and diluted, no noticeable difference in flavor.

3) If you do brine, don't wrap in butcher paper, let it ride as is to form that bark. An absolute must! Brining adds so much moisture that it will jack up your final product if you wrap.

4) Use butcher paper only if you don't brine. I think injecting and using butcher paper would be fine as the injection is adding for flavor more than moisture and the meat will not be a water logged nerf football in a smoker.

5) Brining, injecting, wrapping and a flavorful bark are not obtainable in an electric smoker. This may be obtainable in a wood/charcoal fired smoker but not in our cookers. Even then, I personally wouldn't try it after this debacle.

For me, I think MY "Final Way" would be to use a little curing salt on the surface of the meat to dry brine to get that smoke ring everyone wants, still use dalmation rub, wrap in BP around 150°-160° until 190°-200° and let it rest for an hour in the butcher paper, on a table, not in a cooler, and then slice it up and enjoy. Injecting may make it's way into the fold too depending on if I want that flavor or not. The lesson learned is sometimes simpler IS better. The old saying KISS comes to mind. Keep It Simple Stupid! LOL

I believe your issue is that you tried combineing too many techniques. Brineing & injecting works wonderfully. Brineing gives the added moisture & flavor (to the exterior) the injection is to impart the flavor profile into the meat. Sounds like your injection was bland. The butchers paper is for moisture retention, which I believe is a waste of time considering you already brined & injected!  The mush was probably a result of that since I have yet to hear a comment like this from either method individually.

Your experiment was not a tried an true method, it was a combination of two proven methods. All you determined, is that they dont work together. If you would like, what I believe, is the final method, look up my post on brined & injected briskets.  Many folks use that technique now with their own twists to seasoning.

Walt, as I said from the onset, it was an experiment. I didn't know what the results would be until it was tried, hence the reason for an experiment. You have to have failures to have accomplished success. The injection is the farthest thing from bland, it's a proven injection that I've used for years. I have also said that it was the combination of these things that lead to subpar results, that's why I listed what I would do personally to change the outcome. Brining and wrapping is a no no. Brining and cooking unwrapped, sure. Brining and injected, in my opinion, again is overkill. Injecting alone and wrapping, for me, is what I think I would do going forward.

Also brining does not just add moisture and flavor to the exterior, it does it to the entire muscle. That's the whole point of doing it. Dry brining adds flavor just to the outside but no moisture, wet is throughout. If wet brining, no need to inject. As a matter of fact, there's only so much moisture it can handle, just like a sponge. Take a look at this picture and you'll see my injection coming out of the meat. It couldn't be absorbed into it so it came out of it.

Those dark "spots" are injection points oozing out the injection. This doesn't happen on a regularly injected cut of meat. I knew it was a bad sign when I saw it.
angus11.jpg

I appreciate the feedback, but read the entire post before telling me what I already said (not meant to sound like a jerk so forgive me). I wish you continued success with your cooks. I will continue to test theories, that's what works for me and how I find what I like. I shared this with you guys in the hopes of continuing all of our educations in this shared interest. Let my failures act as a way to save yourselves from a similar fate, lol!

Jason,

Sorry on the outcome of your Brisket, I hate when things just don't work out when cooking. I also like to experiment and that is how we learn. While I have only done one brisket on my #2, I brined it and injected it and it was great. That was the first time I did both and I will try it again on my next brisket.

In the end do what works for you, I am sure your next Brisket will be top notch!

Greg

Back