smoked shrimp

After seeing Tim's post, I had to give this a try.

I made a few adjustments to the recipe.

1.5 lb fresh St Augustine shrimp, shell on but devein.
8 oz Italian dressing
1 1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 T Chef Paul seasoned blackened redfish magic
2 t (my rub, any low salt will work)
1 T lemon juice
1 T minced garlic

Mix all ingredients, except the shrimp in a small pan and cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place shrimp in throw away pan, cover with sauce, make sure the shrimp is well coated and then place in smoker.

1.1 oz mesquite
1.1 oz sugar maple

Smoke time 1 hour at 225 degrees.

The shrimp turned out great, good smoke flavor and I have enough for taco's in a few nights.

* Note next time, I may reduce smoke time to 45-50 minutes, a few of the shrimp were a bit to soft....

Hot dang this looks good, another idea to add to the smoke plans.  All the recipes look great--thanks for getting this started Tim, and great looking meal Greg!

TexasSMK said:
Hot dang this looks good, another idea to add to the smoke plans.  All the recipes look great--thanks for getting this started Tim, and great looking meal Greg!

Yes thanks Tim for giving us another great idea for the smoker.

Here is a link to the beans.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3290.0

Greg

Made this over the weekend. With a few changes.
Removed the shells from shrimp.
Lined the bottom of the pan with lemon slices.
Served over 1lb. of spaghetti.

Best Smoked Shrimp Scampi ever.

Tex...how long did you smoke the shrimp without the shells?  I did one hour with the shells on and got a lot of smoke flavor.

Barrel99 said:
Sounds great Tex. Do the shrimp without the shells dry out at all?
No they did not. That's why I put the lemon slices on bottom.
I put them in and ran the smoker for 1 hr.
Tasted great.

johnnytex said:
Barrel99 said:
Sounds great Tex. Do the shrimp without the shells dry out at all?
No they did not. That's why I put the lemon slices on bottom.
I put them in and ran the smoker for 1 hr.
Tasted great.

Great idea, I have used onions when making Irish Stew. But for shrimp, lemon slices or lime would be great.

Greg

Going with the original plan, but substituting Old Bay for the Cajun seasoning.  Plan to do some venison steaks with Chupacabra rub as well.  Should the steaks be above or below the shrimp pan?  Gosh I can't wait for this to be done....Thanks again Tim!

Attachments

• Smoked Shrimp.jpg
    Smoked Shrimp.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 488
I am doing steaks with shrimp in the #2 this afternoon with 2oz of oak.  Originally I was going to put the shrimp under the steaks, but now I am thinking shrimp pan on top, steaks under.    I pull the steaks at 120IT and finish on the gasser, which is about 45 minutes of smoke, but then leave the shrimp in for another 20 minutes or so.

swthorpe said:
I am doing steaks with shrimp in the #2 this afternoon with 2oz of oak.  Originally I was going to put the shrimp under the steaks, but now I am thinking shrimp pan on top, steaks under.    I pull the steaks at 120IT and finish on the gasser, which is about 45 minutes of smoke, but then leave the shrimp in for another 20 minutes or so.

I will do the same!! Thanks Steve

I did some today as well, but I went with more of a classic BBQ shrimp recipe similar to what Pascal's Manale does in New Orleans, I add a bit of fresh onion and parsley and play with the amount of ingredients, but their recipe online is similar to what I use.  I used 2 oz of Pecan at 225 for an hour plus 15.

Not sure how I feel about the little bit of smoked flavoring to it.  Traditional method without smoke is really damn good and what I am use to eating.

qsl947.jpg

For dinner tonight I decided to smoke some extra large shrimp (4-6 per lb.). Total smoke time was one hour with 2 oz. of wood, using my original recipe.

Overall not a bad meal, but these large shrimp in my option would have been better on the grill or under the broiler... 

Greg

haha, FYI

I did some extra large the same way today.  After 1 hour 15 mins like previous they just were not right.

Finished in oven and cold for tomorrow.

Minis or 26 to 32 per lb count are much better as an hour cook.

4 to 6 per lb?  Those are Elk size in this area.

I got 16-20 per lb and thought they were big!

Back