Smoked Angus Beef Ribs (Plate)

swthorpe said:
Thanks, Greg.  I hope to try some beef ribs this weekend and just wanted to be sure I set the right temp.

Steve,

Here is the link to Franklin's recipe.

http://andrewzimmern.com/2015/04/21/aaron-franklins-beef-ribs/

Greg

Greg, the Wagyu ribs, that John posted in the Asian ribs video, cooked to 130 looked pretty darn good.  Any reason to not smoke beef ribs to a pink medium?  I would think that brined ribs (which tenderizes) would be good with a pink center.  I, personally, can't do grey beef, except on brisket, which is a whole different cut than any other beef.

DivotMaker said:
Greg, the Wagyu ribs, that John posted in the Asian ribs video, cooked to 130 looked pretty darn good.  Any reason to not smoke beef ribs to a pink medium?  I would think that brined ribs (which tenderizes) would be good with a pink center.  I, personally, can't do grey beef, except on brisket, which is a whole different cut than any other beef.

Tony,

With this cut of ribs, I think you have to treat them like brisket if you want them tender.

Greg

I'm no butcher, Greg, but the cuts in the video looked like your ribs band sawed lengthwise, into 1.5" cuts.  I could be wrong, but if you look at the video again, you see the cut bones on the bottom that sure look like a cross-section of you ribs.  Anyone else see it differently?

The cut that John posted, beyond being a better grade, is a cross grain cut.  I believe Greg to be right about the tenderness of the whole rib.  The riblets that I cook for appetizers are very thin cross cut and there is a certain primeval rip and tear kind of chew to them. 

DivotMaker said:
I'm no butcher, Greg, but the cuts in the video looked like your ribs band sawed lengthwise, into 1.5" cuts.  I could be wrong, but if you look at the video again, you see the cut bones on the bottom that sure look like a cross-section of you ribs.  Anyone else see it differently?
Tony, you are correct about the cross cut of Greg's ribs. 

It might be a better cut of meat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagyu

Still learning

If you look on the you"bube"tube all the bones on "wagyu" see thinner/smaller than the flinstone version we are used too seeing on cows around here.

Maybe its the cut of meat (lower or upper rib) that makes some cook much longer to get right vs making then rare like a fillet.

Back