Smoked Angus Beef Ribs (Plate)

Well my first try at beef ribs in my trusty #2 were a success. Total smoke time ended being around 8 hours and I pulled the ribs at 201.

The ribs prior to cooking was about 4.25 lbs.
There was a total of 4 ribs, each averaging about .23 lbs. without meat.

Dinner consisted of 1 rib per person, Borrancho beans and Texas toast.

When I bought these, my first thought was to inject or brine them. But I wanted a baseline for future smokes and just gave them the basic treatment.

I have another rack in the freezer and on my next go, I will brine them. While the ribs tasted really good, I believe that brining them will give them a bit more moisture.

My wife who would rather eat the beans, gave me nothing back but a bare bone... This was a good sign to the smoke.

I also shared the extra two ribs with our good friends next store and fellow #2 smoker, so I look forward to there thoughts on the smoke.

Greg

Man, those look great, Greg!!  And a big +1, anytime you get a reaction like that from a "not so into BBQ" spouse! ;)  Mine, too - but devours my BBQ!

swthorpe said:
Nice work, Greg!  I am going to try to find some of these the next time I visit RD!

You should find them for around $3.99 lb. at RD, great value and would be great to share with guests that have never seen ribs this big :)

Greg

Man that looks good. You guys make me cry with the meat prices. In Colorado, I got a short rib plate and it was close to $7 per pound. Meat ain't cheap here in flyover country!  :(

Went on the look and found them for $4.99/pound in my area.  I've got one other source to checkout and then go do a visual quality check. 

Thanks Dave, I remembered you called these appetizers! 

Maybe its the thin cut, but I was surprised they cooked these so low (130) vs a meaty cut.

Greg, they only thing I have BOMBED ON POORLY EVER in the SI were the ribs you made. I figured heck, its ribs what could go wrong.  (mine had too much top fat cap) and turned out looking like frankenstein or elephant man ribs. 

Jealous yes, will revisit yes.

Even at butcher shops they aren't easy to find.  Esp those shops where they don't actually "butcher" the meat but get it trucked in.

jcboxlot said:
Thanks Dave, I remembered you called these appetizers! 

Maybe its the thin cut, but I was surprised they cooked these so low (130) vs a meaty cut.

Greg, they only thing I have BOMBED ON POORLY EVER in the SI were the ribs you made. I figured heck, its ribs what could go wrong.  (mine had too much top fat cap) and turned out looking like frankenstein or elephant man ribs. 

Jealous yes, will revisit yes.

Even at butcher shops they aren't easy to find.  Esp those shops where they don't actually "butcher" the meat but get it trucked in.

Hey John,

I have another rack in the freezer that I will plan to do when time allows. The next time around I will make two changes, one brine the ribs overnight and smoke at 250 degrees.

Greg

Greg...why do you want to raise the smoker temp from 240 to 250?    I am with you on the brining option, but not sure I understand the switch in temp.

swthorpe said:
Greg...why do you want to raise the smoker temp from 240 to 250?    I am with you on the brining option, but not sure I understand the switch in temp.

Steve,

I ran these babies at 240 for 5 hours and they were at 165 degrees. I bumped the temp to 250 degrees and it still took a bit over 8 hours to smoke. I was reading a recipe yesterday that Aaron Franklin’s posted and he does his at 285 degrees and he says it takes 8-9 hours.

My thoughts are that in the end a few more degrees most likely won't affect the taste, just the time.

Greg

Back