Model 3 or model 4

Bigjo

I have a nice tax check coming and wife is offering for me to get a smoker of my choice.  Planning on usual stuff but also getting into making sausage for up to 4 family's.  Planning on over 50 lbs deer sausage in a few weeks.  I'm wanting the model 4 but I'm looking for a sensible reason to justify the extra money.  My thoughts are go big and not worry about regrets on capacity when I could use it.  Still a large investment.  Currently using a 30" master built.  Want something bigger

Unless you really insist on hanging your sausage instead of laying it on the rack you likely don't need the #4. I have a #3 and it gets the job done. I suggest getting the #3, Jerky fan, cover, rib rack, maverick and still be cheaper than a #4.

Brian's right about the hanging sausage thing. I regularly smoke 25lbs of snack stix in my #3, but that is maxed out. As long as you are OK with not hanging your sausage and doing multiple batches, the #3 should work really well. Plus, the #3 is the perfect size for smoking ribs, butts, and brisket.

Also to be clear, there is no problem at all with laying your sausages horizontally on the racks.

Honestly unless you have a smoker the size of a large outhouse, hanging sausage is a bit of a pain. It has to be high enough the bottoms aren't cooking faster than the sides and top, also they cant touch each other. If the sausage is touching the smoke doesn't penetrate well in that spot causing differences in taste and color. Laying them down is a lot easier.

Because of price differential, I honestly thought about buying 2 - #3's vs. the #4.  There seems to be very few model 4 owners here.

You can actually make a pretty good argument for getting two #3s versus a #4, because you actually have more combined cooking space with two #3s.

I think the main advantage of the #4 is the height. So, you can hang your sausages, hams, etc. And not have to worry about the food cooking unevenly.

If I had the money, I would love a #4!

Hi Bigjo,  From the sounds of what you are doing, I don't think you can go wrong, either way.  Whether you choose the 3 or 4, you'll be happy.  I look forward to getting to know you as the new owner of a model ___? ;)

Back