Big Brother or Big Daddy!

You won't regret going with the bigger smoker.
It's not just what one can cram in a smoker...not to me anyway...it's how comfortable and convenient a smoker is to use.
My sausage batches are usually no more than 15 pounds...more like 10 most of the time....I don't like keeping sausage and the like around for long because the quality suffers. I do smoke large hams or a large turkey from time to time....bacon etc...
The #4 is great in all regards.

I'm also a WSM guy.

Well, maybe you see where I am going. It seems we have similar smoke habits. 🐷🐖

It seems going with the #4 is good for peace of mind.

Consider several times a month and rather modest amounts of meet, it seems even a #2 could get by cramming it all in there. A #3 (which I have too) seems it will fit 99% of your smokes... Without even thinking of the word cram or thinking man that's tight.

Now if there is a day you want to do 2 butts, 6 racks, and 2 briskest for a blow out shin dig... Then no doubt a #4 would be needed... If not a trailer smoker big enough for a whole hog.

I don't want to talk you into a 3 or a 4 .... It is America and you can choose either... And that is great. I am only suggesting you will be really really hard pressed to be sad with a purchase of the 3.

Good luck.

Also consider this... With these smokers you will now likely start smoking year round... Not just Easter to Halloween. So... Your smokes will go up... And you will need a good vacuum sealer too.

Polish Q said:
Well, maybe you see where I am going. It seems we have similar smoke habits.

It seems going with the #4 is good for peace of mind.

Consider several times a month and rather modest amounts of meet, it seems even a #2 could get by cramming it all in there. A #3 (which I have too) seems it will fit 99% of your smokes... Without even thinking of the word cram or thinking man that's tight.

Now if there is a day you want to do 2 butts, 6 racks, and 2 briskest for a blow out shin dig... Then no doubt a #4 would be needed... If not a trailer smoker big enough for a whole hog.

I don't want to talk you into a 3 or a 4 .... It is America and you can choose either... And that is great. I am only suggesting you will be really really hard pressed to be sad with a purchase of the 3.

Good luck.

Also consider this... With these smokers you will now likely start smoking year round... Not just Easter to Halloween. So... Your smokes will go up... And you will need a good vacuum sealer too.

I do appreciate your thoughts (The Voice of Reason, maybe!) and believe me I'm thinking along the same lines. The #3 will take care of my needs, I'm confident of that. Sometimes we just want what we want! If the #4 was $200 more, no brainer! But $700 more is a bunch of other toys!

Still deciding!

I am normally the guy that says get the big one.  I have a Weber ranch kettle, a 26.75" kettle, a 22" WSM, and an XL BGE.  So you can see my frame of mind (not compensating here, I drive a Prius).  I bought the #3 a few weeks ago, and I am glad that I chose it over the #4.  I don't know if I would want to have that big cooker for one pork butt, or a few racks of ribs.  But it sure would be nice if I had to cook for an army, which is something I just don't do.  I can always do over flow cooking in one of my other smokers, when the need arises.

But, the #4 is cool, and sometimes that is what matters most.  Remember, I drive the Prius, it is damn cool (my wife told me, so its true).  Good luck with either, I think you will love whatever you choose.

I think the key here is that the original poster wanted to get into smoking sausages and Jerky.

I do not smoke my ring sausage in my #3 because I like to hang them while smoking and the #3 just isn't tall enough to prevent the bottoms of the hanging sausage from getting done before the tops.

In order to smoke sausage in the #3, you have to lay them horizontally and rotate racks. If you are OK with this, and only smoke smaller batches (10-20lb max), the #3 will work fine.

For someone who mainly is going to smoke Butts, Briskets, Ribs, and Chicken/Turkeys, the #3 is more than big enough. But when you start trying to smoke 20lbs of sausage, the #3 will be pushed to its limits. When I smoke my snack stix (25lb. batches), I fill 5-6 racks and have to rotate top to bottom and front to back at least once or twice during the smoke to maintain even cooking. In the #4, I don't think I would have to do that.

When my family makes ring sausage, we are usually making 100-200lbs. at a time (split between 4 families), and we take it to a local meat market and they smoke it for us for a very reasonable price. But, if I wanted to do 25lbs. at a time, I think I "could" use the #3, but then I would have to mess with the rack rotation issue.

So, just some more food for thought.

Well, I just discovered another difference, so I thought I'd share.

SI 1,2,3 are made of 18 guage 201 stainless steel.
SI 4 is made of 18 guage 304 stainless steel.

Not a show stopper for the SI3, but another + for the SI4 IMO.

(google 201 vs 304 stainless steel like I did)

First off, James, let me say how much I like your style!  I'm a Weber gasser guy, too ('97 Genesis 1100, used EVERY week), and I see the value in having a backup in case the zombie apocalypse hits!

Let me address your point about 201 vs 304:  Doesn't matter, in the least.  The 1, 2 and 3 use 201.  The 4 uses 304 because it has a little higher strength, which is good for the larger panels of the #4.  You will see NO difference in performance.  The 304 is more suited to the #4, just like a 700 w element is more suited to a #2 vs a #1.  Don't get caught up in the tech specs in your decision making - the materials and element sizes are tailored to the model, not performance differences.

And I still stand by my statement that when you get a SI, your WSM will get lonely! 8)  Your gasser won't, though! ;)

DivotMaker said:
First off, James, let me say how much I like your style!  I'm a Weber gasser guy, too ('97 Genesis 1100, used EVERY week), and I see the value in having a backup in case the zombie apocalypse hits!

Let me address your point about 201 vs 304:  Doesn't matter, in the least.  The 1, 2 and 3 use 201.  The 4 uses 304 because it has a little higher strength, which is good for the larger panels of the #4.  You will see NO difference in performance.  The 304 is more suited to the #4, just like a 700 w element is more suited to a #2 vs a #1.  Don't get caught up in the tech specs in your decision making - the materials and element sizes are tailored to the model, not performance differences.

And I still stand by my statement that when you get a SI, your WSM will get lonely! 8)  Your gasser won't, though! ;)

Yeah, I wouldn't let the type of stainless sway my decision, but everything I read said that 304 was better and 201 had become popular as a replacement for 304 due to the high cost of nickle.

"Type 304 stainless steel is a T 300 Series Austenitic Stainless Steel. It has a minimum of 18% chromium and 8% nickel, combined with a maximum of 0.08% carbon. This alloy is extremely durable, as well as favorable for creating a beautiful finish."

"Some grills are also using 201 and 202 stainless, which has recently become very popular. Although they are Austenitic alloys, like 304, these alloys are not comparable to 304 in terms of durability and resistance to corrosion. They were created to cut the cost of Austenitic alloys by replacing most of the Nickel with Manganese or Nitrogen. The problem with this is that neither Manganese nor Nitrogen are nearly as resistant to corrosion as Nickel."

"The two most commonly used stainless steel metals are 201 and 304. These metals contain at least 50 percent of stainless steel, while at least 11 percent is made from chromium. Each type of metal has its own unique composition, which is why you’ll find differences in the metals’ strengths, weaknesses and appearances. These unique compositions also make certain metals ideal for certain projects.

What made the 201 grade of stainless steel so popular in the first place was the price and availability of nickel. It was so high priced, it made making 304 too expensive to produce, let alone to be used in transportation and construction projects. There was a niche to be filled in the market, which was quickly filled with 201. This grade of stainless steel used less nickel and in turn, was more cost effective.

The 201 grade is made from nickel, chromium and manganese. It’s estimated to be 30 percent stronger than 304, plus is cheaper to make and purchase. The downside is that because 201 is stronger, it’s more difficult to form and weld compared to 304. Furthermore, 304 is corrosion-resistant and can be used in just about any application, whereas 201 has limited versatility."

OK, James.  But, when using either, you won't know, or care, what kind of stainless it is - trust me!  Getting a little too detailed on this one, I'm afraid.  I've never heard anyone say "I really like the #3, but I sure wish it was made out of 304 stainless!"  Not to make light of your concern/opinion, but I think you're splitting hairs.  You won't see, or tell the difference.

DivotMaker said:
OK, James.  But, when using either, you won't know, or care, what kind of stainless it is - trust me!  Getting a little too detailed on this one, I'm afraid.  I've never heard anyone say "I really like the #3, but I sure wish it was made out of 304 stainless!"  Not to make light of your concern/opinion, but I think you're splitting hairs.  You won't see, or tell the difference.

Agreed! That's why I said "Not a show stopper for the SI3" and "I wouldn't let the type of stainless sway my decision"!

What could probably move me from the SI3 to the SI4 is the extra height, extra shelves, and maybe the heating element and smoke box.

I'm pretty well sold on the SI smoker, and would probably be happy with either SI3 or SI4.

gathumper said:
DivotMaker said:

Agreed! That's why I said "Not a show stopper for the SI3" and "I wouldn't let the type of stainless sway my decision"!

What could probably move me from the SI3 to the SI4 is the extra height, extra shelves, and maybe the heating element and smoke box.

I'm pretty well sold on the SI smoker, and would probably be happy with either SI3 or SI4.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things and just need to figure out which one is right for you.

James,
Here's my pitch for the #4, you can put a ton of meat on and have good spacing from the heat source, I cooked 9 racks of pork today almost 70 lbs and still had 15 inches or so from the bottom rack to the heat.... I love this thing. Had room for another 50 lbs if I needed it, didn't have to move or turn racks.... Cooked it perfect. Good luck.
Merry Christmas to all! 🌴🌲

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 351
Just wanted to take moment to check in and say "THANK YOU" to all who have shared their wisdom on this subject. It has ALL been truly appreciated.

My mind is pretty well made up, I really WANT the SI4. But I still might end up with the SI3 and I believe I would be happy with it.

I'm still looking for the weight on SI3 and SI4 if anyone could help out.

I'll check back in with any developments, I'll be talking to Steve again next week and planning to meet him and pick it up when he comes to Nashville in February. I may not make my final decision until I see both units.

Merry Christmas!

Jim,  Just go with they weights shown. They are either actual weights or shipping weights.  Either way, can't be more than 5 or 10 lbs = or - depending upon model.

Back