Major Product Release! Model 2D & 3D - Integrated PID Digital Smoker

DivotMaker

Well gang, it's been nearly 2 years since I tested our first try at a digital smoker.  That controller was a failure!  But, we've worked hard, since then, to produce a digital smoker worthy of the Smokin-It standard!

We are proud to announce production of the Model 2D and Model 3D smokers, with an integrated Auber PID controller!  I will be testing one very soon, and they will probably be available on the website this weekend. 

This will be available as an option on the Model 2 and 3 smokers, and will soon be standard on the Model 4.  This is the current GPH-series controller, so it has a permanent probe, and the pre-programmed recipe features. 

This will be the "most accurate" digital smoker available, anywhere!  We realized that harnessing the power of the Auber PID with the strength of the SI, in one package, was the best way to go!  There were lots of design hurdles to overcome, but we did it!

I will be giving a full review, as soon as I get my hands on one (soon), and look forward to your input and comments!

The Future of smoking is HERE!

Special "Introductory" pricing:

Model 2D    $599.99   
(Regular price $628.99)  Available Now!

Model 3D    $699.99    (Regular price $734.99) Available Now!

Attachments

• IMG_2235.JPG
    IMG_2235.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_2237.JPG
    IMG_2237.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_2238.JPG
    IMG_2238.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 799
  • IMG_2239.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG_2240.JPG
    IMG_2240.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_2241.JPG
    IMG_2241.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 807
Looks like a very neat installation. Happy that Steve has chosen to go with the proven reliability of the Auber product-why reinvent the wheel.

Exactly, Roger!  When the first model was designed and tested, we didn't have much experience with the Auber yet.  As time developed, we kept leaning that direction.  I think this is going to be big, in the world of "commercial-grade" smokers.  Accurate, and dependable!

Tony, would older units be able to be retrofitted with the new controllers?

Also, it looks like you didn't have sway on the probe placement. 

SuperDave said:

We're working on a retrofit, Dave. It requires a new flat top and addition of a heat sink for the control unit, so I'm not sure when it will be available.  It appears the initial batch has a probe placement lower than specified, so we'll be working on that, too.  This is a "work in progress," but we've made a big stride with this release!  I'm sure there will be a few mods as we progress.  Uncharted waters here!

SuperDave said:

I was wondering about the probe placement too since we have been telling everyone to put them 1" from the roof of the smoker.

Where this is, it looks like it could cause problems with meat placement.

I'm looking forward to the reviews.

I have long thought that finding a way to build the Auber PID into the SI would be the way to go. Way better than the Cook Shack option.

I'll definitely be posting a thorough review, Dave!  I suggested a 1 - 1.25" from the top placement of the probe, but it didn't get done, this batch.  It looks like they put it just below the highest shelf, which should be OK, given the GPH (new style) probe is much shorter than the old one!  We can probably get this adjusted on future runs, if it's a problem.

I am glad that I have been holding off on the non-integrated Auber.

Tony, any word on whether this will be water proof/resistant?

NDKoze said:
Tony, any word on whether this will be water proof/resistant?

Yes, it's a weatherproof as the original design.  There's a gasket under the controller, and you can see the switch is a sealed-type.

The retrofit kit will be somewhat difficult to install.  Steve is working on pricing now, but has a few extra controllers and flat tops.  The hardest part will be cutting a hole for the SSR heat sink (you can see the pic of the back, that it's located near the bottom left of the smoker).  I'll post more on this as he gets closer to offering the kits.

Okay, my last question.  Will there continue to be models 2, 2d and 3, 3d or will the old model be phased out? 

I don't believe there are any plans to phase-out the originals, Dave; this just gives folks the choice of a base model or loaded options model!  But, sales will dictate the future.  If it shifts predominantly toward the D model, that may be the deciding factor.  We'll all see what the future holds!

Back