Hello for Kansas

KAG

Yup......another noob to this forum that just purchased a SI #3

Been smokin and doing dry & wet curing for quite a few years. Started with wood in an old barrel smoker and then went Big Chief that I have had for 20+ years and still use periodically. Then went MES before it completely died. Read lots and lots of reviews and comments before settling on the SI #3

Favorite wood is Pecan then Mulberry
I make my own rub and sauce but always enjoy trying out new twists. I use a lot of Blackstrap Molasses in my rubs

Look forward to gleaning the knowledge from you guys on the SI smokers.

Yep use an AMZ tray a lot also.

Welcome from Texas KAG! You've made a great choice in the #3. I own one and haven't filled it full yet. Whole slabs of ribs, big ole' pork butts, and my personal fav whole packer cut beef brisket. Come on in and read up on what we like to call lazyQ.

Welcome KAG....From Northern KY!  Nice choice on your SI purchase!  Many great smokes and much fun to come!

Hi KAG and welcome from the Keys. You will love your #3.  I have two of them. Also this is a great forum to participate in and learn from. Happy Smoking.

Welcome KAG!  Now that you're part of the family, feel free to add your first name and town to your signature line (Forum Profile) - much more personal than screen names!

You're going to love the #3 - Great choice!!  Be sure to read the User Guides and Instruction section, particularly What to Do When It Arrives, and Basics for a Beginner.  Not that you're a beginner to BBQ, but you'll have a few old habits to change with the SI. 

Let us know how we can help, and I hope to see you around here often! 8)

Hey KAG welcome from St Augustine Florida!

Question I really also like Mulberry, but the last order I bought was really dry, if you don't mind asking what is your source?

Thanks Greg

gregbooras said:
Hey KAG welcome from St Augustine Florida!

Question I really also like Mulberry, but the last order I bought was really dry, if you don't mind asking what is your source?

Thanks Greg

My back field is my prime source for Mulberry but on the front part of my land I have Oak, Osage, Hedge, Ash, and of course Locus, which smokes good but is painful to handle  :o

Thank you for the welcomes.....already reading about the electronic dual probe set ups but I think I better learn to use this smoker as is before i do anything  :D

One thing I did several years ago also was there was a large tornado in the area and I let some tree trimming companies dump trees on part of my place, got lots of good wood for both smoking and fireplace. Still have to cut it up and split but.....

I would try the local landfill area as tree trimming companies dump trees there and it a good place to pick up some quality logs and such.

Lake_zpsmgr0oyqn.jpg

Hey KAG welcome from Kansas City, looks like a nice view of the lake. Would love to set on a porch and have some coffee in the morning looking that that.  ;D You will find a lot of good information on this forum.

Back