Making jerky for the first time in SI #3

I cut a notch on the bottom of the fan just wide enough for probe wire and deep enough that the wire won't get pinched or crimped going through the smoke port. 
I also fold a paper towel in 8ths, cut a corner so when unfolded to 4ths, there is a round hole just big enough to fit over the smoke hole.  That helps keep moisture from collecting in fan instead.

Made the dryer designed by Dave today.

Someone had asked about parts numbers:  Home Depot

Cap:
Model: C5817HD4,  Store SKU #145668

4" x 3" reducer:
Model: #C58012FDH43,  Store SKU #188336 

Attachments

• 4%22 cap.png.jpg
    4%22 cap.png.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 371
  • 4%22 x 3%22.png.jpg
    4%22 x 3%22.png.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 359
Hey Dave and Jeremy,

Can you post a photo of your probe holes in the dryer so I have an idea what you did.

Thanks,
Craig

I just cut a slot in the bottom with a hacksaw. About 1/4 in deep, just deep enough that the cables aren't pinched.  The width of saw blade cut is about the width of the cables, so didn't need to make a second cut.
With a paper towel to wick out moisture, you still get a good seal for airflow.

Attachments

• Towel on vent.jpg
    Towel on vent.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 363
  • Dryer on towel.jpg
    Dryer on towel.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 373
Dave,
I'm having a hard time seeing the slot you cut. I'm guessing it's on the right hand side ( of the second photo ) where there's green around it.

I don't see the the 4" to 3" reducer in the photo, did you conclude that it wasn't necessary?

Thanks,
Craig

I quit using the reducer, decided it wasn't needed. Probably don't even need the slot if a paper towel is doubled.

Attachments

• Jerkey dryer slot.jpg
    Jerkey dryer slot.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 348
Craig,

I have not made probe hole in mine, I guess I forgot about that! But I do like the notch Dave has for his and will actually do that instead. I picked up a pork belly this weekend I’m going to get going for bacon, so perfect timing to do that.

Glad to be helpful.
Besides the jerky dryer fan, my second improvement for making jerky has been to hang the jerky on stainless steel skewers instead of laying flat. The drying is much more even and I can hang 7# of jerky on the skewers on one rack. In the picture I have one rack hanging and one rack layed flat. The flat rack took another hour to dry over the hanging.

I found that the skewers that have a twist towards the end are easiest to use. These are the ones I got:  https://www.amazon.com/KEKU-Stainless-Reusable-Barbecue-Portable/dp/B07SZ66P84 .

Attachments

• Jerky Hanging.2jpg.jpg
    Jerky Hanging.2jpg.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 395
Jeremy,

So you use the fan for other than jerky?

When making bacon, you slice the pork belly, then smoke it?I don't understand the concept of using the fan for this.

Thanks for the recommendation Dave.

Since I have the model #1, that will definitely help. I better recheck the length of that skewer to see it fits.

What spacing are you using between the skewers?

Dave,

Never mind...about the spacing, I guess it'll depend on the width of the cut. This is what happens when you get old. Ha!

Checked the dimension of the skewers...too long. My #1 is 13" deep.

You should easily be able to cut the skewers  to length with tin snips or side cutter pliers and file the cut to dull the edges.  I like these skewers because they come with a container.

Dave,

Cool...I was just on Amazon looking at skewers, came back to the forum and did a search on skewers. Low and behold, your post came up. Talk about saving me some time.

Thanks,
Craig

I had trouble getting jerky to come out properly. Looked at the jerky dryer, built my own out of fan similar to what others posted. Still not happy with results. Did a couple batches without dryer fan, by leaving door slightly open to allow moisture to escape. It worked better than the fan dryer. Went a step further added a $10. Weber vent to top. Jerky texture comes out just right for my tastes. KISS works for me. Happy 4th everyone.

Attachments

• 20220704_084115.jpg
    20220704_084115.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 200
Back