Electric Newby in So TX

gmannel

Diehard stick burner tasted my buddy's brisket  off a Masterbuilt 40 and was convinced of the reality  of proper electric  smoker use,  so resear6 led me to the American  made SI 3, ordered yesterday.  Can't  decide on Auber right of the bat or just a Maverick  to start, although that 70 bucks would take a chunk out of the Auber  buy,  but prob need both as Auber has only 1 food probe.

Hi George!  Welcome to "Club Lazy Q!"  If you liked what you tasted from the MES, just wait until you taste what you can do in the SI!  It will be a bit of a "transition" for you, from stick burning, but not too much.  You'll find you don't have to rely on all of the techniques you've used to counter the "drying effect" of the heat source (burning wood).  These smokers are incredibly tight and retain moisture very well, so all of that spritzing, mopping, foiling, unfoiling, etc., isn't necessary!  Focus on food prep, and wood selection, and find something better to do when you get the meat in the smoker!

If you don't have a small digital scale, I recommend getting one.  We deal in ounces of wood - definitely not what you are used to!  The most we use is 6 oz, for a long smoke (briskets, butts), but many are 3-4 oz!  Hard to gauge that without a scale.  Unlike the MES your friend has, you will load the wood when you start the smoke, and won't open to add more.  Easy peasy! 8)

Welcome from east Texas. Once you see the quality of your #3 you'll  know you made a very good decision. When you receive your smoker season it first then smoke something that takes some time so you can see first hand how well it operates. A pork butt is a good choice. Easy to prepare and it is a long smoke further seasoning your smoker. Lots of great info on these forums so read and enjoy. Happy smokin!

Back