Christmas Prime Rib

Thanks all. It was SUPER easy to make and I'll definitely be doing it more often. I just wish the meat wasn't $10/lb.  ;)

This method beat any prime rib I've had at restaurants (high and low end). Now maybe what I need to do is invite some neighbors over for a sample. Then, I can offer to cook it for them (when they buy the meat). I'll do whatever it takes to maximize my new addiction here.  :)

A quote from my mother-in-law at dinner was "I normally don't like prime rib, but I really like this prime rib you made. In fact, I think it's the best you've ever smoked in the past year.". FYI, I've owned my SI2 a little over a year now and they've sampled probably 10-15 of my smokes in that time period. This includes Turkey, Chicken, Ribs, Pulled Pork, Salmon, Bacon, etc...

That is high praise for sure. I haven't yet bit the bullet on a prime rib, but have done several sirloin roasts the similar way. One of these days I will spring for one.

I didn't have the right guests for Christmas so I bought the prime rib and saved it for this weekend.  Call it New Year's prime rib.  I figured it would be a great way to start 2016.

I did another Prime Rib for New Year's Day. So good...

Dried in spare fridge for ~4 days before cooking. Everyone loved it! Pretty much same recipe...

Attachments

• 20161229_114825.jpg
    20161229_114825.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 456
  • 20161229_114853.jpg
    20161229_114853.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_2544.JPG
    IMG_2544.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_2545.JPG
    IMG_2545.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_2549.JPG
    IMG_2549.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_2551.JPG
    IMG_2551.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 468
Tony, you are Prime Rib King!  The one for Christmas looked like perfection.  I did my first prime rib for Christmas, and it turned out tasty.  For some reason, I really thought that a bone-in was going to cook and taste better, so I skipped the $10 per lb Sams Club roast, and paid $12 per lb for a bone-in at HEB.  I justified it by noting that the $12 was a markdown from their normal $15 per lb bone-in prime rib.  I don't think I would do that again.  The bones had some weight to them (four bones), the meat around them is not real tender, and I paid $ for bones.  Yours turned out so nice, next time I am going bone-less!

ibbones said:
Tony, that looks amazing.  I soooo want to try one but my wife will not eat anything under well done.

My Dad is the same way.  When I used to oven-roast the prime rib, we would give him the ends - because they were well done.  I planned to do the same this year, when we smoked our prime rib on the 3D.  However, when I sliced it, I was shocked by how shallow the well-done cook was on the ends.  It was enough for him, but barely.  Good thing no one else wanted well done. 

For her, you would have to separate part of it after the smoke, and cook longer?  On the bright side, the roast appeared to rest very quickly.  We smoked to temp, immediately tossed it onto the grill for reverse sear, and sliced probably ten minutes after taking it off the grill.  (It was a little behind schedule, and people were standing with plates in hands!)  At that point, you cold slide off a chunk and toss it on the still-heated grill to get it done to her liking?

Jumanji said:
Tony, you are Prime Rib King!  The one for Christmas looked like perfection.  I did my first prime rib for Christmas, and it turned out tasty.  For some reason, I really thought that a bone-in was going to cook and taste better, so I skipped the $10 per lb Sams Club roast, and paid $12 per lb for a bone-in at HEB.  I justified it by noting that the $12 was a markdown from their normal $15 per lb bone-in prime rib.  I don't think I would do that again.  The bones had some weight to them (four bones), the meat around them is not real tender, and I paid $ for bones.  Yours turned out so nice, next time I am going bone-less!

Thanks! The New Year's one I did was bone-in. I guess I didn't get pictures showing the roast was sitting on the bones. In our smoker's I would agree and believe that boneless is the way to go.

Yet another shout out to Tony on this recipe!  I’ve been meaning to try this for a while and the $6.99 lb sale price finally forced me to.  Outstanding!

Attachments

• A2BC4F4F-1230-4223-8129-9A089F14D973.jpeg
    A2BC4F4F-1230-4223-8129-9A089F14D973.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 367
I have a question about this method. Has anyone used this method using a brine in addition to the rub adding the rub after the brine.

Back