Canadian Bacon in "The Briner Jr."

Pretty much any local butcher shop will carry it and sell it to you for dirt cheap. That is where I get mine from. That way I buy in small amounts as a little goes a long way.

Glad to see this post is still alive, I have 2 loins in the brine now, 7 days to go! We cant seem to have enough of this stuff.

Same time, Ed.  Whether you cut a 9 lb long loin in 1/2, or start with a 4 or 5 lb loin, it's going to absorb at the same rate.  I get a big one and cut it in quarters.  If you start with a smaller one, cut it in half.  The smaller chunks take the brine well, and increase the surface area for the smoke (in my opinion).  Plus, the smaller chunks look cool, and are easier to use and store.

After reading through this post I had to try it.  I just finished the smoke after the 12 day cure and I thought the results were fantastic.  I smoked with sugar maple.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 636
Looks great Chris! I still need to make Canadian Bacon. Up next is cured/smoked turkey breast (Canadian Bacon style). Sliced super thin for sandwiches. Similar to deli smoked turkey...only better of course.

Nice job, Chris!  I haven't smoked any CB in awhile, so I definitely need to!  This is a cold-weather smoke, for me (don't ask me why, it just is).  Soon!

SconnieQ said:
Looks great Chris! I still need to make Canadian Bacon. Up next is cured/smoked turkey breast (Canadian Bacon style). Sliced super thin for sandwiches. Similar to deli smoked turkey...only better of course.

I made Turkey Canadian Bacon and it turned out awesome!

DivotMaker said:
Oh, and btw, Chris - after it "mellows" for a day or two, in the fridge, it's even better!

I resisted the urge and let it sit for a full day and half in the refrigerator before I sliced it and I have to say it exceeded my expectations. 

Have been wanting to do Canadian bacon for awhile and just finished up my first smoke..(also recently bought "The Briner)
Started with a 9lb pork loin and used the brine mixture mentioned by DM/Pops..I have seen some posts about the finished bacon being too salty so I did soak the loin in cold water for 2-hours.. Smoked with apple chips for 2 hours at 125 then increased to 225 until the loin hit 150 (4 hours total).. Turned out great with a nice smoke flavor and some sweetness..Actually no hint of salt at all so I may have soaked a bit too long. Love Canadian bacon on breakfast sandwiches..pizza etc.. Will definitely do this again !!!

Attachments

• IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 407
I love this recipe and have used it several times over the years. I even used it with some Turkey Breasts which turned out AWESOME!

One of my favorite things to do is get a cheese pizza from a place like Papa Murphys or even a Wal-Mart cheese pizza and add my homemade Canadian Bacon and a little more cheese and pineapple for an incredible pizza with a twist. If you are talented enough to make your own dough/pizza, all the better. :)

Canadian bacon is my favorite! I like to keep one or two loins curing at all times. I let mine soak for 3 weeks because it
seems like sugar takes longer to permeate the meat than the salt does. To my taste Pops Brine is a little too salty
using a full cup so I go with a 1/2 cup and its just right for me. And pizza! I use CB plus pulled pork and top it with smoked mozzarella.
I'll have to try curing a turkey breast, sounds good!

I too find Pop's brine to be a little bit salty. I have't made this for a little while now, but I think I will reduce the salt a little bit the next time too.

NDKoze said:
Here was my version of Turkey Canadian Bacon (FYI):
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2461.0
Bookmarked, thanks! I'll give this a try soon. I've got a couple loins curing now and no room in the fridge. Loins are $1.49 at Safeway this week so I won't have any room in the freezer either.

Back