Building HeaterMeter PID - DIY

My HeaterMeter is still going strong. I spent some time resoldering it and cleaning the joints afterwords because I was having quite a bit of "noise" issues. I haven't used it much since the resolder but I'm doing a dual pork butt smoke session tomorrow night so we will so how it goes.

How did the Heatermeter work?
Are you still having noise issues? Mine has been working great, I have used it about 10 times now, its nice to be able to use your phone to monitor & control. The Pit probe on mine is the only one that fluctuates looking somewhat like noise. I think it is just reflecting the temp shift from the heating element being cycled on and off. I need to look closer at this sometime.

Thanks for the help with the wiring guys. Got it all hooked up and doing some test runs now. Trying to find the correct PID values. I don't have the back cover on yet but it's swinging past the set point by a bit. 130 SP is hitting 155 before settling back. I do a bit of cold smoking with cold plate so I'm hoping to get PID control around 90F. I normally do salmon for 3 hours where I turn it on full tilt for 15 minutes each hour. Cold plate and ice tray and it comes out great. I suppose if I can PID that low, I can hack some scripts to do the bang bang. I'm currently using Tman's P=10, I=.007, D=20. I'd like to get that overshoot down. I suppose until I have some product in the S2 I'm just wasting my time. Can't wait to get the email and notifications going so I can check this all out from the boat in the summer.

Glad you got it working. I tuned mine with nothing in it. Didn't have to change tuning much at all when I started smoking with food in it. It usually will hold +/- 1 unless the wind is bad here ( I get tremendous wind at my house at times) then it will swing out sometimes as much as 5 to 10 degrees. I have email & sms working as well as remote monitoring from anywhere. This thing is just awesome. Doing a pork butt right now. Good Luck with tuning.

I haven't tried to go that low yet, but was considering it.  Does the wood get smoking that way or are you using an amnps or something?

I like a bit of swing in mine at higher temps, the wood seems to smoke better and the meat seems to cook at the same speed as normal operation of the SI3 instead of a lot slower with the constant on and off switching.

lbnaz said:
How did the Heatermeter work?
Are you still having noise issues? Mine has been working great, I have used it about 10 times now, its nice to be able to use your phone to monitor & control. The Pit probe on mine is the only one that fluctuates looking somewhat like noise. I think it is just reflecting the temp shift from the heating element being cycled on and off. I need to look closer at this sometime.

I think I finally got to the bottom of my noise issues. I had a bad probe that was affecting everything. I'm doing a prime rib smoke today so I'll know for sure after a few more smokes under my belt that it's truely fixed.

wasitim said:
Thanks for the help with the wiring guys. Got it all hooked up and doing some test runs now. Trying to find the correct PID values. I don't have the back cover on yet but it's swinging past the set point by a bit. 130 SP is hitting 155 before settling back. I do a bit of cold smoking with cold plate so I'm hoping to get PID control around 90F. I normally do salmon for 3 hours where I turn it on full tilt for 15 minutes each hour. Cold plate and ice tray and it comes out great. I suppose if I can PID that low, I can hack some scripts to do the bang bang. I'm currently using Tman's P=10, I=.007, D=20. I'd like to get that overshoot down. I suppose until I have some product in the S2 I'm just wasting my time. Can't wait to get the email and notifications going so I can check this all out from the boat in the summer.

Tim - I've cold smoke salmon once and it turned out great. Here's what I did:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3157.msg24296#msg24296

Trip said:
I haven't tried to go that low yet, but was considering it.  Does the wood get smoking that way or are you using an amnps or something?

I like a bit of swing in mine at higher temps, the wood seems to smoke better and the meat seems to cook at the same speed as normal operation of the SI3 instead of a lot slower with the constant on and off switching.

Sorry for late reply, was on vacation last week.

I've been following SconnieQ's approach here http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=o7df1n4edv95k4ob67je4tntu5&topic=2770.msg21136#msg21136

You turn it on full blast for 15 minutes then off for 45. Repeat over three hours, it's perfect, just like you'd get from a great deli. I've been playing with different sugar/salt/spice ratios. They've all been good but haven't found the perfect one yet.

TmanEater said:
wasitim said:

Tim - I've cold smoke salmon once and it turned out great. Here's what I did:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3157.msg24296#msg24296

Yeah, that looks great Tman!. I'll be doing some of the hot smoked variety soon. Been on a homemade bagel making kick lately since I built a wood fired oven in the back yard so I've been looking for that soft cold smoke. I use the cold smoke plate and fill a roasting pan with ice cubes. Never see more than 90F.

I got a few extra of these HM's built up. They work great. I'm still using my original but have built up some for sale to those without the DIY motivation for soldering electronics.

I hadn't been on the forum in a while but just got the notice that someone posted on this thread!  Been out doing other stuff!  I did smoke a brisket last weekend though.  And I used the HeaterMeter that you built for me, Tony!  Almost can't live without it now.  One thing I love is that I can use almost any probe, just have to change the configuration.. which is easy.  Not to mention, being able to check my temps from anywhere. And when I finally decide to bypass my controller, it's a much better PID than the auber, which was junk for me.

Good to hear. I still love my unit too. I can't believe how well it has worked out for me. Been going strong for years now without a hiccup (other than a couple of probes going bad). I think this unit would be 100% perfect if it was waterproof. If there is a hint of chance for rain I put it within my makeshift tupperware container case.  :-) It don't affect the operations but it's kind of annoying to continuously worry about.

Tony, I agree. I always just put mine in a Tupperware shoe box where I have cut slits around the top for the wires. But even when I had an Auber, which I found to be a piece of crap, I had to do something similar.

When did you build mine for me?  Was it last year?  Dang I'm getting old. How is your 3D printer working out?

Been a while since I've logged on. Also been a while since I've used my HM or smoker. I've been super busy this year with work, home, and kids.

I've slowed down a little this year too. But, I still managed to get my smoker out at least once a month or so. The HM you built for me is still spinning like a top!

_
          /(|
          (  :
        __\  \  _____
      (____)  `|
      (____)|  |
      (____).__|
        (___)__.|_____

TmanEater said:
            _
          /(|
          (  :