Brisket prices

Overland

I live in the Seattle area, and I'm wanting to smoke a brisket here in a few days. I spent half my day driving around and making phone calls to different stores, everyone wants 7-9 $/lb. This seems astronomical to me. Is it due to Christmas season, or did I miss the cheap boat on beef? What are you guys paying?

I've seen it over $7 pretty regularly in CO. Beef seems to be higher in the West. Not sure why since a lot of cattle are raised here. Guess you'll have to stick with salmon.  ;)

Herb, see if you can find a beef clod.  Very good and 1/2 that price.  I've got a couple beef clod threads on here if you'd like to see one. 

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4181.0

Yikes!  I usually pay less than $3/lb for Choice or Prime brisket (packer cut)!  Most places charge twice as much for flats, that's one reason I never buy them!

I pay $2.79/lb at Costco for PRIME whole packer brisket (approx 14+ lbs flat and point). Costco, Sam's, Restaurant Depot. Any of those stores in your area? Membership dues could be worth it for the meat savings and availability alone. Otherwise, your $7+ prices are probably in line with butcher shops and meat markets. Shoulder clod might also be good, but it's huge, so don't know if you can get a 1/2 clod. I'd bite the bullet and pay what you need to, to get the best brisket for Christmas (if you need it for Christmas dinner). Then make it your mission after Christmas to seek out alternative sources.

Kari, even Costco is over $6 here for brisket. I'm not sure about Sam's since we're not a member there. It's a bummer but worth it to live here.  :)

Brisket has become very "Trendy" lately. Restaurants are buying em up. Arbys chain is a main buyer of briskets these days. Supply and demand is kicking is in the wallet...................

BedouinBob said:
Kari, even Costco is over $6 here for brisket. I'm not sure about Sam's since we're not a member there. It's a bummer but worth it to live here.  :)

Still $2.79 here in Wisco Costco for Prime. Checked last week. One advantage to living in the frozen tundra.

One thing beside price that has been tripping me up with briskets is my perception that the fat caps just keep getting thicker and thicker on the full packers.  Price creep + 35% - 40% fat is a real b*** buster. 

Back