Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork

Polish Q said:
Seems like briner is way too big for my liking given fridge space and not cooking whole turkeys.... You feel the JRis a fair deal?

It's a little over-priced, given cost of shipping.  But, it is unique, well-made, and should last a long time (forever?).  I'm ok with the purchase, and use it enough to justify it.

Tony
how long do you recommend the brining process? I have read it seems 8 hours minimum and 48 hours maximum.
I am going to brine my next pork butt using the briner Jr.

I brined a brisket flat yesterday.  After, I realized I havn't seen any posts about brineing beef.  I would assume brining beef would have the same benefit as anything else.  Any thoughts....

I have to try brining a brisket, Walt!  I've wanted to, but just haven't got around to it yet.  Yep, I think injecting, too, may be a little overkill, but who knows?  Your results will be new territory for us.  Forge on, pioneer!

Update, for those who are wondering! 

The only modification I've made to this brine is to add a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar to it.  It helps to tenderize the meat, and seems to add a little flavor.  Remember - brining does not have a significant effect on salt content in the meat, just flavor and moisture. 

The salt & sugar actually denature the protein molecules near the surface of the meat, which causes it to trap moisture inside while cooking.  It kind of creates a "moisture barrier," without absorbing much salt.  Just be sure to rinse the brine off thoroughly before applying a rub or seasoning.  Avoid coatings that contain a lot of salt - not needed. 

I never smoke un-brined butts now!

DivotMaker said:
Update, for those who are wondering! 

The only modification I've made to this brine is to add a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar to it.  It helps to tenderize the meat, and seems to add a little flavor.  Remember - brining does not have a significant effect on salt content in the meat, just flavor and moisture. 

The salt & sugar actually denature the protein molecules near the surface of the meat, which causes it to trap moisture inside while cooking.  It kind of creates a "moisture barrier," without absorbing much salt.  Just be sure to rinse the brine off thoroughly before applying a rub or seasoning.  Avoid coatings that contain a lot of salt - not needed. 

I never smoke un-brined butts now!

You have convinced me to try a BB for my first smoke and I am definitely going to use your brine recipe.

Just a suggestion, but it may be helpful for others to update your original post (recipe) with the new addition of the Apple Cider Vinegar.

I'm excited. Smoker scheduled to arrive on Tuesday! ;D

Just did a brined loin today, check it out on the Tappecue thread I am running. You can't beat that brine for keeping  the meat nice and tender.

Here goes another one!  Put a brined 9.86 lb Boston butt on this morning at 2:50 a.m. (back in bed by 3).  Added a couple of new ingredients to the brine - I'll update the recipe, if they work out.  Yellow mustard & Famous Dave's Rib Rub on the outside.  10 hours in, sitting at 176 (coming out of the stall in the 160's).  I used 5.5 oz of black cherry from Maine Grilling Woods on this one.  23 degrees to go!  Didn't take any prep pictures at 3 am... looks like the other one in this post.  I'll get some "money" shots of the finished product, though! ;)

13:30 in, wrapping it at 196.  This one feels very tender and moist going into the foil.  Gonna let rest a bit longer, then pull.  Pics coming soon!  Meant to take one when coming out of the smoker, but the wind had other plans.  All I could do to wrestle the foil and butt! :o

Back