Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork

Smokster said:
Mark: I would definitely stick to food grade plastic for brining.  Try going to a wine making shop, they should have food grade plastic pails with lids for about $10. Making wine, everything has to be sterile, unless you plan on making vinegar.  I have used the same pails that they sell juice concentrate for wine making.

Thanks Tony, If it rains this weekend I will try and find one of those buckets, I have got to try this brining!

I started brining my chicken before I had the electric smoker.  It really made a difference in the moistness.  I often use the Tupperware made for a turkey.  Holds quite a bit.  When I am not hungry the pictures are appreciated.  When I am hungry, I imagine the poster gets some type of wicked delight from the torment.

Etex said:
I started brining my chicken before I had the electric smoker.  It really made a difference in the moistness.  I often use the Tupperware made for a turkey.  Holds quite a bit.  When I am not hungry the pictures are appreciated.  When I am hungry, I imagine the poster gets some type of wicked delight from the torment.

You're right, Tex!  My problem is seeing the pictures makes me hungry, even when I'm not!  :P  I guess it's the same twisted delight people get eating a big burger in front of the lion cage at the zoo.  They may not mean to be cruel, but it is.  lol

When looking up a new recipe, the ones with pictures always help you appreciate and level set your expected results.  I enjoy seeing the pics on this forum because it encourages me to try new recipes or ideas.

And I can understand the emotions of the lion because that is how I feel when I am waiting for meat to come out of the smoker, then devour it without hesitation.

Haha, Tony!  I'm a visual person, and I am always attracted to posts/recipes with pictures!  I always try to give viewers a glimpse of what I'm seeing through the process, but it's hard (sometimes) at 5 a.m. to get the camera working!

Someone once said, "If there aren't pictures, it didn't happen."  I love seeing pics of everyone's success stories, and try to encourage everyone to take and post them.  I think it adds a lot to the stories about our experiences.  I think most people are visual, too, and pictures are definitely worth the effort and time.

Should be a good day in the Smokin-It world, Chris!  I'm doing baby backs tomorrow!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1024.0

Question on brining times.  Is there a recommendation on approx. hour per lb?  What is too long?
Had some smoked turkey at a tailgating event and they said they brine 10-12lb bird for about 5 days but it wasn't overly salty and the sweared by it.  I plan on brining a pork butt today and this question was in the back of my head.
Thx,
Wik

Hey Wik, I did this 9 1/2 lb butt for about 15 hours, and it was perfect.  So, for pork, I use about 1 1/2 hours per pound.  This depends on the thickness, too.  Brining a 9 lb butt takes longer than a 9 lb pork loin.  I'm not sure you can "over" brine a pork butt.

Tony, are you still doing the same brining recipe for the butts?  Looks like a winner to me?  I just want to make sure before I go grab the ingredients.

Did you end up getting a brining bucket?  I picked up a couple food safe buckets at Home Depot to use for turkey's, but I ended up just using a brining bag I had instead. I'll probably do a combo of bag+ bucket as long as I can get the bucket in my beer fridge without displacing too much of the brews.

Charlie, this is the same simple recipe I use now, too.  It's easy, and works great (at least in my opinion).  I did get a Briner Jr, and really like it.  I can fit anything I'm brining in it, except a whole turkey.  Butts, loins, ribs, chicken - no problem.  I like the "hold down" disc inside, and the heavy-duty plastic it's made from.  Also has a pretty small footprint in the fridge, so minimal beer displacement occurs. ;D

Is that the name, Doogie?  Turkey briner?  Got a website link?  I have The Briner Jr that I love - fits everything but a whole turkey, so I'm interested in something bigger for a turkey.

Same thing you have I have bringer jr and love em usually only do turkey breast so they suffice for size

Gotcha.  I almost order the big one, too, but I don't do whole turkeys that often, and really don't have the real estate in the fridge for it (don't want to push the wife's buttons too hard:)  The Jr fits great!  Using it this weekend on a 9 lb Boston butt!

Back