Auber PID

Johnny, I am very interested in your use of the Auber PID. I am a new #2 owner and  in my first few cooks I've noticed that the temperature swings are more than I would like. When I set it to 225º, the box will go to 245º before it shuts down, then drops to as low as 210º before it starts up again. Like most experienced cooks, I am sensitive to temperature control as essential to predictable results. This is particularly true when trying to do fish at low cooking temps (170º.) I bought a #2 because I wanted the capacity for when we entertain, but often my cooking just uses one shelf. I suspect that's contributing to why I'm getting the temperature swings.

So two quick questions.

1. You said you removed the controller and joined the two spade connectors. Why did you think this was necessary if the the Auber is sensing the temperature and shutting the element on and off?

2. Have you solved the smoke issue yet (less generated smoke) and it so, how'd you do it.

I also own a medium size Big Green Egg that I use for smoking and I use a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/DigiQ%20DX2 with it to control the temperature of the pit. It was a game changer and my cooking results were much better with it than without it!

Thanks for any input!

bocaboy

I have used the Auber many time with #3 full or ribs or just a meatloaf and I only get temperature swing of only 1 or 2º.

I did bypass the controller so I could cook at temps of over 250º. If you don't need to do that, you are OK. It was very easy.

I also have started using smaller chunks of wool. 1 oz pieces or so. Same total just, I split some of the bigger ones up.

All in all, it turns my #3 into a set and forget smoker.

Johnny tex, do you find that your cook times are more predictable? 

I believe you got the auber in the factory box as opposed to making your own as some have done. Is the unit weather resistant? 

CW

I have not had a bad smoke since I started using it. I set it to go to 130º when I reach my target IT and that just holds the meat till I'm ready.

The box itself is very well made and sealed tight. However, I don't think I would use it outside in the rain or snow.
My smoker is on my covered back porch.

Bocaboy:

You may not have to bypass. My experience is that you will want to. The temp probe of the SI unit is in the upper left corner if looking into the unit. I have experienced cooks where the temperature in that corner is trapped by a pocket of hotter air versus rack temp recorded by the Auber probe. In one case Auber stuck at 186 F but programmed to 225 F. Well this was because the Auber was commanding it on but with the rheostat inline from the controller, the Si was commanding the element off. So off it stayed. There may be a number of reasons for this... Using a water pan is one documented reason (although it perplexes me as to why) etc.

Now I thought i didn't need to bypass. Then one day... Ran across this issue... Luckily it was with two racks of ribs only for my family... Sure wouldn't want that happening to me on a long cook with a lot of guests coming over.  :-\

I think since Auber sales are relatively new, folks are kind of coming to the conclusion that bypassing is desirable.

Ultimately I'm guessing SI team will make a convenient spot on the smoker to add a bypass on the outside ( maybe a simple cover plate that can be removed and a few jumper placements?). This as opposed to new users opening up their devices and monkeying with all the wiring and insulation.  They still could keep the same warranty claims in place and all that, but seems logical next step.

Folks, I'm really new to this smoker, but as an architect who has friends that give me smoked meat and fish I spent perhaps 6 months looking at the options. I finally bought the house with a #3 and the Auber. Now 2 weeks later with this unit I'm convinced they really work together, and I know I made the right choice. Out of the box I thought my Auber may need to be re-programmed for the #3. Nope, mine tracks perfectly even in below freezing temperature. First try with brisket and the Auber covered for me and it came out perfect. This Auber thing has a lot of capability that will take some time for me to grasp. My opinion; if you buy any smoker without this item...get your lawn chair and watch your smoker 24/7 winter and summer.

Back