Auber PID

Tex was kind enough to write a nice review of the Auber - very informative!  Here's the link to check out!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1041.0

We used the PID today with some success.  The temps were all over the place and we had to adjust a few times as this was our first attempt but we made it through.  I think bi-passing the orginial thermostat like Tex did might be the answer.  I may try that to see if it helps.  I also may not have had the Auber programed correctly but I will try it again and I hope I will get better results. It seems no matter what I do the food still comes out great and everyone enjoys it so that is a good ending!

If your temps were all over the place, you should bypass the controller.
It is very easy.
I did jerky today at 160-140 and had temp swings of only +-3 deg.

I will be posting a pdf with a simplified set of instructions soon.  They will be geared towards the use of the pid with a smokin-it smoker.  I know the unit has an output for a smoke generator (not needed on the smokin-it), and you can use it with or without the meat thermometer.  I will try to make the instructions as easy and informative as possible. 

Thanks,
Ben

That'll be great, Ben!  I'm seriously considering upgrading to a #3 next spring, and I think the Auber will be a must.  Like I've said before, I just can't justify it for the #1 - it does a great job with temp.  I guess that's just due to the small volume that has to be heated; lots more airspace to heat and cool in those big 'ol #3s!

Ben
When you are putting the simplified instruction together can you add a section for bypassing the thermostat in order to achieve temps above 250.
step by step pictures would help as well.

shomesmoke

I have not tried the AMPS yet. I have found that if you use 3 or 4 small 1 oz chunks, you get a great smoke.

Thin Blue said:
So that's what PID means
proportional-integral-derivative controller (PID controller)

Ha!  I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know that when we started this whole "PID" discussion! ;D

Back