Another Auber with Temp Problems

Do buckboard with the same dry cure method. That is really tasty too! I am fortunate that I can order bellies on base.

I think I must be a little slow.  I do not understand the simulated smoke with bricks.  Will anyone shed some light on this for me.  I am having some of the stated problems with ribs and only the temp. set. Also some have stated only using one probe.  My unit will not seem to operate unless both probes are plugged in. As stated, I may be extremely slow to understand, but am getting more and more frustrated.

Bluecat,
A simulated cook is nothing more than a way to monitor the smoker without using meat which can get expensive when you are trying to pin down a problem.  Just put a brick or two, I use a pan of sand, into the smoker and set your program the same as a normal cook.  You'll need a Maverick to double check what the Auber is doing.  I log every test on a log sheet showing the conditions of the test.  Mark down date, air temp, wind, what you used for your test. Write down time, Auber temp and Mav temp every 15 minutes. (sometimes shorter)  Usually you can get by with only logging the results until it locks in on your target temp. This usually only takes around 60 to 90 minutes. I usually set my Maverick probe within a 1/2" of my fixed probe.

Try it with no meat probe then do another one with the meat probe plugged in to a potato.  I even made two small boats out of foil and put sand into them the aprox. weight of the ribs to simulate a small rib cook.  You can't gather too much information.  What really drives us crazy is the ones that are only happening once in a while.

If you can narrow it down to a specific type of cook like ribs, do the same log sheet on the next few rib cooks until you are confident it is working the way it should or you can document with hard figures what is happening.

Can you give us more information about about what you have noticed?  Was it a spike in temp, not settling on target,  large over run or under run,  excessive time to hit target, etc. 

My temp. never got to 225.  It would fluctuate between 205 and 190.  Thought maybe the heating element was not working, but when I unplugged the unit the SI worked fine.  Sure appreciate your help on this.

This might be a coincidence but I'll throw it out there.  The smoke after my one where the Auber wouldn't get closer than 20 degrees to my set temp, I checked the probe plugs where they go into the back of the Auber.  The silver sleeve with the spring behind it was very loose.  I tightened them very snug and proceeded with my smoke and everything worked as it should.  Everyone should check these periodically as they seem to work themselves loose. 

Am going to auto tune tomorrow and do the simulated smoke. I did .do an auto tune several months ago on two boston butts.  Do you need to do this each time you do a different kind of meat?

Usually it's one auto tune and your done. No need to change for different meats. Check your PID numbers to make sure they look in line with others. Sometimes you'll get a number that just does not look right.  Do a test smoke with a pan of wet sand and see how your tune works.

What you are looking for is a ramp up to a set target temperature in a reasonable amount of time, little or no over run.  Once it is locked on target it should stay there usually within degree.  Once your happy go cook some fantastic BBQ.

Cat - Dave's right.  No need to autotune for different cooks.  It tests how fast your element heats, and what it takes to slow it down and maintain temp.  That's based on the physical hardware, not what's for dinner.  The tune you did for the butts should be fine for everything else.

Back