Will be doing bacon here shortly

Thesneakyzebra

I have made 100's of pounds of bacon and I am looking forward to see how my #3 stacks up against my WSM on smoking bacon. I am surprised to not see much on bacon on this site. Below is my last 11 pounds of bacon I made before we sliced it up and packaged it.

Attachments

• 20131208_204407.jpg
    20131208_204407.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 384
I too wish to see moar BACON posts, love it and want nothing else, well, ok, some others. But BACON is supreme master and should be given much praise.

Man, that looks spectacular, I mean "Baco-licious!"  I, for one, am looking forward to you posting your secrets on the bacon forum!!! ;D

That bacon looks awesome! I am interested to see some recipes and tips for how to smoke the bacon in our smokers.

Bacon is a true gift from the food gods!  Can't wait for details on how to do it.  Where do you get your pork bellies from?

Cam

I was thinking the same thing Cam. I don't remember seeing pork bellies at Costco/Sams/Wally World. I am guessing we would have to get them from a butcher shop.

Sneaky, I am curious the difference in Price/Pound of Pork Belly vs. Bacon.

Do you save much money? Or is it merely the ability to do it yourself that makes this a great project?

Good question, Gregg!  I don't know about belly bacon, but you can sure make Canadian bacon a lot cheaper!  A 9 or 10 lb pork loin makes a lot of bacon!

I hear ya on the Canadian Bacon. That is why I have a batch about 3 days into the 12-day brine in my fridge right now. It didn't hurt that my Dad bought the two hogs that we butchered for sausage making season. So the loins I have brining in my fridge didn't cost me a penny. I am guessing I better share some of the Canadian Bacon with him when it is done though. ;)

Smoking a pork belly to make belly bacon would be a new one for me that I would love to try.

I really want to make some belly bacon and need to see locally where I can get a decent slab. Oh the goodness that could come from that.

It saves some money, considering the homemade bacon when done right is more like real bacon, not the garbage that is out there in most stores. In my opinion the flavor and texture is pure bliss in comparison to anything I have purchased in the stores.

Home cured and smoked bacon (and ham) is just the best. Completely different to store bought stuff.

I normally get a centre cut loin from Costco, cut it into three, dry cure and then cold smoke each piece before slicing one into bacon, cooking one to turn into 'ham' and the third get's cut into bacon steaks.

These pics, however, are from a supermarket loin (it was on special offer...) and includes the little flappy bit of fatty meat.

This was dry cured for 10 days and then cold smoked over hickory for 5x12hr sessions with 12hrs rest between each smoke.

It was superb (if I do say so myself!!!).  ;D

Attachments

• Bacon - Hickory Smoked.jpg
    Bacon - Hickory Smoked.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 419
  • Bacon - Hickory Smoked 1.jpg
    Bacon - Hickory Smoked 1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 417
My butcher called me today to let me know he is picking up 2 sides of pork tomorrow. I will be posting the SI bacon adventure here. Should yield about 25 pounds of bacon  :o

Back