What's everyone cooking for the 4th of July weekend

dibiase

With the long weekend coming up I'm planning on cooking my first brisket.  I've had my 3D for a couple of months now and have done a bunch of ribs, a few pork butts, a ham, turkey and some salmon so far with excellent results.  Finally I'm going to attempt my first brisket.  I have read several brisket post in the beef forum so I think I'm ready.  Going to inject, rub, and smoke with hickory. 

Anyone else smoking for the holiday?

I previously smoked a Boston Butt using Taco Seasoning instead of a traditional pulled pork rub. I pulled vac-sealed and froze for this weekend out at the lake. I'll reheat in a crockpot with a little beer for some moisture and then make pulled pork tacos.

I'm also going to try an experiment that I found on YouTube. I'm not going to haul the #3 out to the lake, so will be using my stick burner for this smoke. If it turns out, I'll create a new thread.  :)

Smoked/Grilled Cabbage

Ingredients
  • ½ Cup Butter
  • Bacon + Bacon Grease
  • 1 TSP Ancho Chili Powder
  • 2 TSP Italian Seasoning
  • 1 TSP Granulated Garlic
  • 1 TSP Cumin
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1 Can Beer
Instructions
  • Loosely wrapped the stuffed cabbage in wide tin foil and leave the top open.
  • Add 1/2 to 3/4 of the beer depending on how big the cabbage is.
  • Smoke at 250-300 degrees for 1.5-2.0 hours with the foil open.
  • Seal the foil top and then smoke for 1.5-2.0 more hours.

I am about 95% sure that I am going with a brisket for the Fourth of July, but I might switch off to beef plate ribs, depending on what I find at Restaurant Depot on Friday!

Something is going in the #3 this weekend.  Not sure what yet, but there will be smoke coming out at some point.

swthorpe said:
I am about 95% sure that I am going with a brisket for the Fourth of July, but I might switch off to beef plate ribs, depending on what I find at Restaurant Depot on Friday!

I've been thinking about trying beef ribs at some point.  Never done them before but I'm curious.

dibiase said:
swthorpe said:

I've been thinking about trying beef ribs at some point.  Never done them before but I'm curious.

I have trouble finding any that actually have any meat on them. I need to find a place that has the Beef Plates.

I have done the ribs a couple of times and I like the way they turn out.  The last time I was at Restaurant Depot, they didn't look so meaty so I passed on them.  We'll see how they look this week.

dibiase said:
With the long weekend coming up I'm planning on cooking my first brisket.  I've had my 3D for a couple of months now and have done a bunch of ribs, a few pork butts, a ham, turkey and some salmon so far with excellent results.  Finally I'm going to attempt my first brisket.  I have read several brisket post in the beef forum so I think I'm ready.  Going to inject, rub, and smoke with hickory. 

Anyone else smoking for the holiday?
[/quote
Same here , I'm doing my first brisket, it's a 17 pounder. I'm excited. good luck on your brisket!

As am I.

Interesting recipe Gregg.  Ive grilled/ smoked whole(cored) cabbage before that I enjoyed so look forward to your results.

I have some Canadian bacon doing its thing in a brine.  Ready to put in the 3D for the weekend.

Mr.Ed said:
I have some Canadian bacon doing its thing in a brine.  Ready to put in the 3D for the weekend.

Nothing screams "4th of July" like Canadian bacon, Ed.  LOL!!  ;D ;D Hey, as long as you're smoking, anything goes!!

drains said:
Four racks of St. Louis cut ribs, baked beans, Watergate salad and nanner puddin!
Sounds tasty Dale.
Just wouldnt be the 4th without the nanner puddin :) :)
And some fried catfish  8)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 345
Back