What instant read thermometer are you using?

Gregg, I get right at the same times on both of my Javelins that I do on my Thermapen, just a tad slower. They are faster than my Thermopop. I am not sure why they skew the results, I guess so you'll buy their product?? Or, maybe they know that at a 1/4th of the price of the Thermapen that they don't want anyone knowing it is almost as fast as their much more expensive Thermapen. I have numerous thermometers and for ME I think the Javelin is the best bang for the buck.

Back to my original point though, we're talking seconds here. Even if a thermometer should take a few seconds longer to stabilize, it pretty much is going to instantly put you in the ballpark right off the bat. It may take a few seconds longer to settle in and give you its final decimal but I can live with that.

That is kind of what I figured Jason. Of course in the Thermoworks video the times are going to favor their product. I wonder how many times they shot the video until they got the best result? ;)

When talking 1-2 seconds I certainly am not going to quibble over the time. My only thought was for roughly the same amount, I would go with the one with the better times.

I believe the users on this forum more than a product video. So, the Javelin it will be. I currently only have analog instant thermometers, so whatever I get will be an upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried my Javelin yesterday, on steak, and was very impressed.  I'd be surprised if it actually took 4 seconds.  Very happy!

NDKoze said:
That is kind of what I figured Jason. Of course in the Thermoworks video the times are going to favor their product. I wonder how many times they shot the video until they got the best result? ;)

When talking 1-2 seconds I certainly am not going to quibble over the time. My only thought was for roughly the same amount, I would go with the one with the better times.

I believe the users on this forum more than a product video. So, the Javelin it will be. I currently only have analog instant thermometers, so whatever I get will be an upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback.

No problem ;) Now I feel under pressure that it lives up to the hype lol!! I see Tony's testimonial above so that's good :)

No pressure Jason. No matter what it is going to be better than my analog thermometers that I have now.

I sorry to throw another wrinkle into this, but I wonder if it would be worth it to get the bigger/faster Javelin Pro? The longer probe might be nice when temping large Boston Butts or other large cuts of meat. Just not sure it is worth the extra $25 over the standard Javelin. The 1 second faster isn't a big deal, but I like the longer probe, backlit, bigger display, and audible beep.

I did notice that it goes from a lifetime warranty for the standard and only a 3 year warranty on the pro which is kind of weird.

I'm torn.  :-\

Thoughts?

NDKoze said:
No pressure Jason. No matter what it is going to be better than my analog thermometers that I have now.

I sorry to throw another wrinkle into this, but I wonder if it would be worth it to get the bigger/faster Javelin Pro? The longer probe might be nice when temping large Boston Butts or other large cuts of meat. Just not sure it is worth the extra $25 over the standard Javelin. The 1 second faster isn't a big deal, but I like the longer probe, backlit, bigger display, and audible beep.

I did notice that it goes from a lifetime warranty for the standard and only a 3 year warranty on the pro which is kind of weird.

I'm torn.  :-\

Thoughts?

Just get the standard Javelin.  The probe is plenty long, and it's simple.  The "pro" is just bells and whistles that don't amount to $25, imo.  I used it again tonight, and am impressed!

Well, I'm a sucker for the bells and whistles (I guess that is why I have a Ford F-150 Platinum verses an XLT and a Smokin-It verses a MasterBuilt  :-[), so I just ordered a Javelin Pro. With Amazon Prime it should be here on Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to having a higher quality fast read thermometer.

Thanks all for this great discussion.

I forgot to mention another reason I justified the purchase was that I won first place ($50) in a dip contest last week at work with my Smoked Fish Dip. I have all kinds of ways for rationalizing my smoking and grilling and worse yet my fishing hobbies.

Got my Javelin yesterday (yeah, on a Sunday? Yay Amazon Prime). Good deal as I was smoking a pork butt at the time.  Forgot to check temp when I pulled the butt out but did so after the rest.  Not sure if I got 4 seconds. I'll keep testing. I guess I was waiting to see if it was going to beep once it had a final temp. It did keep changing the number after the decimal for a good 8-9 seconds. Although, as previously stated, you will know within a degree or two in 4 seconds. And that ain't bad!

The Javelin Pro does give a stabilization beep. ;)

but, heck when you are that close, you know what the temp is.

The funny thing is that there were no instructions of any kind. Took me a minute to realize that you just extend the probe to turn it on. LOL.

The Lavatools site does have the Owner's Manual available. But, it is pretty basic. It is located at the bottom of the product page:
https://lavatools.co/products/javelin?variant=1011604840

No question about it, Thermopen is by far the best. Expensive, yes but well worth it. The MK4 is amazing and well worth the cost.

littlericky said:
No question about it, Thermopen is by far the best. Expensive, yes but well worth it. The MK4 is amazing and well worth the cost.

Have you tried the Lavatools Javelin, or is this review solely based on your experience with the Thermopen?

DivotMaker said:
littlericky said:

Have you tried the Lavatools Javelin, or is this review solely based on your experience with the Thermopen?

I have tried the Javelin and although in my opinion it does the job and it costs less I prefer the MK4 and I think it is worth the extra cost. This is the most used BBQ accessory that you will use and in the long run the cost is minimal. Again this is my preference and at the end of the day we have to decide what works for us. If you are on a budget get the Javelin, if you have the extra money to spend get the MK4, you wont be disapointed.

DivotMaker said:
Thanks for the info, Ricky!

ThermoWorks sends out sales to people that are on there email list. Last week they had a sale on the MK4 for 76 bucks. That sale is over but they now have one going on for the ThermoPop. One for $20.30 or if you buy two they are $17.40 each. Normal price is $29.00 each.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html?utm_source=Nl-2016Mar26&utm_medium=email&utm_term=ThermoPop&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Mar2016-Easter-Rack-of-Lamb-cs

Back