What instant read thermometer are you using?

Libohunden

Gents,  I'm curious what instant read thermometer everyone is using?  Once I get everyone's model, I run a poll (never tried that before on here). 

Cheers!

The Thermopen is vastly superior to anything else imo. Expensive but great. I have several and even keep one in the car for when I am at friends bbq's and get asked to man the grill.

Libohunden said:
How's that Thermopop working for you Grampy?

Libo, I love it! Its small, fast to read temp and accurate. I just couldn't bring myself to spend $100 on a thermapen but the thermopop is a nice alternative.

I recently purchased the alphagrillers thermometer from Amazon. Nothing special, if I were to guess, probably a 10 sec delay on temp readings when I think it claims 4 if I remember. I know we're talking a few seconds but it's annoying, will probably pony up for a thermopen shortly.

I am late to respond (as usual). I have a Thermapen, Thermopop, and 2 Lavatools. For the money, you can't beat the Lavatools Javelin thermometers (they used to be call Thermowand but I see that they've dropped that name). It's 1/4th the cost of a Thermapen and works just as well. It reads a tad slower at 4seconds vs  the Thermapen at 3s but in reality I see no difference in side by side use. It also has a magnet on the back so it'll stick to the fridge, stove, hood vent, grill.....whatever. I like it! Getcha one ;)

Javelin Thermowand

Comes tomorrow - I'll let you know.  Looks great, and has good reviews.  Not sure why I never saw this one before!  I just couldn't justify the $$ for a Thermopen.

I was pretty happy with a Thermopop, until I got distracted waiting for it to register a temp. It got briefly sealed in the smoker and failed to recover. I replaced it with the thermopen. if you have the opportunity to use the Pop then the Pen you would choose the Pen it is crazy fast.

The pen is faster than the pop for sure but in all honesty, a few seconds longer ain't gonna hurt nobody, lol. I am not so pressed for time that I can't spare 3 seconds longer. The Lavatools is almost as fast as the Thermapen. Don't get me wrong, I think the Thermapen is nice but at the end of the day, it's not worth $100 to ME personally.

RG said:
The Lavatools is almost as fast as the Thermapen. Don't get me wrong, I think the Thermapen is nice but at the end of the day, it's not worth $100 to ME personally.

Me too!  Got the Javelin today, and am impressed!  Seems well-made, and is accurate.  Tested in ice water, and consistently got 32.1!  I think 1/10 of a degree is close enough for me!  Thanks for the tip, Jason - seems to be a real winner.  And you can buy 4 for the price of a Thermopen!

Talked me into one too.  Arrives tomorrow.  Tired of waiting forever to get a reading from the one I've got now.

I'm looking at the Thermopop vs the Javelin and found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzt9pSEpkA

Seems like the pop has quite a bit faster time than the Javelin. I know this a Thermoworks video, but wondering for roughly the same price ($33.00 Pop vs $25.00 Javelin) if the pop would be a better option than the Javelin.

Or are you guys getting faster results with your Javelins than the video is showing? They advertise 4 seconds for the Javelin, but in the video the Javelin times were 8.0-8.7 seconds.

Back