What Am I Doing Wrong?

SpottedCow said:
Keep in mind that butts and shoulder can take a LOT of smoke. 7 oz of hickory/apple mix is usually what I do.

Brisket is another cut that can take a boatload of smoke.

Definitely, Kevin.  I usually stick with around 6 oz on those, but don't worry about 7.  Some folks have a much less tolerant taste for smoke than some of us, and use less.  Whatever works best for each, and the only way they'll know is to try!

I received my wood from "smokinlicious" today...I think I over-ordered  ::) ...I'll be using this for the next 10 years.  But, on another note, what a difference between this and what I've been using.  I see now why my latest efforts have failed...this wood is moist and it actually smells like wood!  I think I'd just forgotten how moist the wood that came with the #2 was.  I can hardly wait to try it again now...but I have to wait until we get back from a bucket list trip to Mt Rushmore next week.

damnfingers said:
I received my wood from "smokinlicious" today...I think I over-ordered  ::) ...I'll be using this for the next 10 years.  But, on another note, what a difference between this and what I've been using.  I see now why my latest efforts have failed...this wood is moist and it actually smells like wood!  I think I'd just forgotten how moist the wood that came with the #2 was.  I can hardly wait to try it again now...but I have to wait until we get back from a bucket list trip to Mt Rushmore next week.

Yeah, Gene, you can tell by the feel and smell how good it is.  I love it!  Have fun at Rushmore!  Great place to visit!  Be sure to get up to Custer State Park and see the buffalo, and try to see the Crazy Horse monument, too.  And, if you have time, Deadwood is a short trip from Rapid City - worth the trip!

That is great motorcycle riding country, enjoy the scenery. You could smoke a slab of ribs to take along with you.

Hi Gene,
I had a similar issue with a pork butt, so I added another chunk of wood for the last 2 hours...  I got the taste i wanted on the first day after treating the meat like you did. Wrap in foil, towels, and store in an ice chest for an hour.
Hardpan

DivotMaker...gonna do all that PLUS we managed to book a room at the Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone for three days yesterday.  Retired life is great...no schedules (except those damned Dr appts!).

damnfingers said:
DivotMaker...gonna do all that PLUS we managed to book a room at the Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone for three days yesterday.  Retired life is great...no schedules (except those damned Dr appts!).

Good for you, Gene!  Should be a great trip!  Take lots of pics to share with us, and try to find some good BBQ while you're there! 8)

damnfingers said:

Dr. Appts are a mess especially if you use the V.A. My hematologist has me now every 2 months, was going for three and he decided he did not like some of my blood components so cut me back a little. At least still not having to do cemo and radiation. Have a save trip Gene.

Quick follow-up.  Back from vacation and tried to find a picnic shoulder to smoke but none available in the commissary...so I decided to do ribs instead.  Using my new wood from smokinlicious.com I smoked them in my #2 for two hours, brought them in, put rub and sauce on them, wrapped them in foil and put back in for another 3.5 hours.  When I took them out and opened them up, the meat was falling off the bones and the taste was finally "SMOKY" and delicious!  Definitely the "wood" had been my problem - thanks for all the help!

By the way, if you haven't been to Yellowstone, Deadwood, Custer, etc., put it on your bucket list and go!  It's amazing - and it makes me wonder how a buffalo would taste smoked in a #2?

Buffalo is good smoked as is deer. If you do not like the wild taste, soak meat in 7-up or sprite for a couple of hours.

Back