Undecided Model 1 or 2 Northwest Florida!!

Surftaco

New here! Names Jamie I reside in the wonderful Florida Panhandle. Active Duty Air Force for 17 years. Would love to own one of your fine smokers! Married with 5 kids ages 14, 13, 12, 2 and 1!

Trying to figure out what size to order! The brain says 1 but my heart says model 2!

First, welcome from SE Arizona.

Married with 5 offsprings?  With 7 in the family I would get the model 2 as a minimum. But if possible go for the 3. Large family and the occasional get together with guests and the extra capacity will come in handy. Yes it will cost more but you will appreciate it when needed. Regardless of what you get, you are getting the best there is.

Dave

James, Welcome from SW Arkansas! As Dave said, I'd go with the #2 as a minimum. I have a #2 and love it but wish I would have spent the extra money at the time and gotten the #3.

Welcome from ND James! I only have 3 in my family and I am soooo happy I went with my #3. I waited/saved for a little longer, but am happy with my #3.

Being able to smoke full packer briskets, multiple pork butts on the same shelf, and full slabs of ribs is pretty awesome.

But as a minimum, I would go with the #2.

Let us know if you have any questions. There are a ton of people that will jump in and respond to any questions that you may have.

Aim High, James, and welcome!  9 years USAF, here.  Absolute minimum, for your size family, is a #2.  You will not be happy with the 1 - way too small for you.  If the budget allows, the model 3/3D is your very best option.  This smoker purchase is a LONG term purchase; you will not be having to replace it every couple of years, like the "big box store" junk.  So, it only hurts once!

The reason I recommend the 3 is depth.  You have the flexibility to smoke really long cuts, like full packer-cut briskets and full racks of ribs.  Great for a large family!  I have used them all extensively, and while I cut my teeth on the Little Guy, absolutely love the Middle Kid, there is just no replacing the real estate you get in the Big Brother!

Hi James and welcome from the Keys. My strong recommendation would be to try and swing a #3 or 3D even if it means waiting awhile. I have a couple of #3s with Aubers (the 3D was not available) and love them. With your situation  a #3 would be really nice to have.

Welcome from Delaware, Jamie, and thank you for your service!  I agree with others that the #2 is a minimum size for your family, but the #3 would be ideal.  I have a #2 for a family of four, and have had no problems smoking enough meat for all of us.

Welcome from Texas James and Thank you for your service! Whichever way you go your getting more for your hard earned dollar. Also your getting unlimited tech support via this forum or just call the owner of the company. Can't be beat.

Good luck Jamie! Just realize if you get her to go along with the #3, you may be expected to cook a lot more meals. Dang ;)

Hi Jamie!
It's very likely you're in my hometown! Currently I'm about 2.5 hours east of you.
Listen to the advice to go big. You won't regret it!

pd

LOVE my #1, but it's mostly just me, or up to 3-4 people. With a family of 7, I agree, #2 is the minimum, but ideally the #3. Your kids are young right now, but this smoker will probably last beyond when they are all grown up, so you'll need the extra real estate to feed all those hungry kids! Plus... friends and family once they find out you are making world-class BBQ!

I bought the 2 as I knew it would have room for my family of four with a little more room for friends. What I have found out is I am having so much fun cooking with it, I continue to invite more people over. I have never been one to entertain much before but am finding this making me do it more.

after 6 months, I am also looking to purchasing a 3 and selling the 2. I just can't make up my mind yet between 3 analog and digital!

James, Welcome from Northeastern MA. Listen to the experience......If you can go with the #3!
For the one time I needed the extra real estate and didn't have it....I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since.

Back