todays rib smoke

Just a thought, Bob - that's a pretty big load of cold meat going in at one time.  I'd run it 240, and even allow for an extra hour (just in case).

Sneaky,

My guess isthe extra time required is because we start with a cold smoker & cold meat to maximize smoke penetration.  More time with smoke while meat is under 140.  Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I think mine takes a little longer to warm up with as much meat as I am putting in there, especially with being how big the number 3 is. However, it doesn't take 1.5 hours to get to temp, I always put cold meat in my smoker. Better smoke absorption that way.

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS MEN... I AM SOOOOO READY FOR THIS WINTER WEATHER TO BREAK!!!

I FEEL LIKE JACK NICHOLSON FROM THE SHINING!    LOL

Good point Sneaky.  It probably accounts for 30 - 45 minutes but not sure about the rest.  All I know for sure is it works well.  I really enjoy the ribs cooked useing this method.  I do tend to lightly sauce them 30 - 60 minutes prior to finish.

BIG BOB said:
THANKS FOR THE IDEAS MEN... I AM SOOOOO READY FOR THIS WINTER WEATHER TO BREAK!!!

I FEEL LIKE JACK NICHOLSON FROM THE SHINING!    LOL

I'm down South, Bob, and I know how you feel!  3" of sleet & ice pellets yesterday (with thunder and lightning, no less), followed up by 2" of snow and 3 stinkin' degrees this morning!!  Not "typical" March 3rd weather for Arkansas!  Arghh!!  Picture says it all!

Attachments

• Winter voodoo doll.jpg
    Winter voodoo doll.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 321
I am going to echo others in the response that taking the smoker with cold meat up to temp is mostly the reason that it takes a bit longer. Results still speak for themselves and I don't have to check during the smoke.

I think that putting in that many ribs in here will definitely add a bit of time due to mass trying to get up to temp. I would bump up the temps in the beginning to get things rolling.

BIB BOB - REDRUM on those ribs when you can!

DivotMaker said:
TheSneakyZebra said:
I can't bump past 250 yet  ;)

With the PID?  If you haven't bypassed the stock controller, you won't be able to.

PID should be here this week. I was responding to the statement to bump up the temp if you are not hitting your target. However, I am already maxed out at 250 so I have to wait for the auber to bump up from 250 to get more stable around 250.

Back