"Three's Company" now that Big Daddy's in the house!

coachB said:
Welcome to the deeper side Tony.  I foresee a couple of razorbacks "makin' bacon" in your cook area in the near future.  You can't let that old #2 dress better than the shiny new #3.  Or you could do really dedicated smoking with the #2 handling pig and the #3 doing cow.

Yeah, the wheels are already turning, Bill!  I possibly see a Packers theme in the Big Daddy's future! 

Ribs are done!  I did something I never do this time - I sauced them at 4 hours with my St Louis sauce.  At 5:30, I pulled them.  They weren't quite as done as I like them, but I was hungry!  Good pullback on the thinner ends, but the thick ends were still not as "fall off the bone" as I like them.  I probably should have gone another :30.  They had good pull, but still not too tough.  I'd say they were a 8.5 out of 10.  Not my best, but far from my worst!

A thin sauce coat was really good.  I usually prefer to smoke them dry, and add the sauce later, as most sauced ribs I've ever had are way too gummy and sticky.  My sauce is not real thick, so it was more of a sweet glaze.  No additional sauce needed!

Attachments

• DigDadyRibs3.jpg
    DigDadyRibs3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 409
  • DigDadyRibs3-2.jpg
    DigDadyRibs3-2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 400
  • DigDadyRibs3-3.jpg
    DigDadyRibs3-3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 404
  • DigDadyRibs4-4.jpg
    DigDadyRibs4-4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 410
They look pretty darn good to me Tony!!  :P  Congrats on joining the #3 club!  You've got quite a trio!  ;)

The depth and the larger element is what swung me to the #3 and not regretting it a bit!  I looked at the Baby Backs at Sams on Friday, but wanted to make sure that's where you said you got yours from.  You answered that today.  That may be "What's for Dinner" next weekend!  ;)

Really glad you're liking your new addition Tony!

DivotMaker said:
Ribs are done!  I did something I never do this time - I sauced them at 4 hours with my St Louis sauce.  At 5:30, I pulled them.  They weren't quite as done as I like them, but I was hungry!  Good pullback on the thinner ends, but the thick ends were still not as "fall off the bone" as I like them.

Tony, am I reading this right? These baby backs were in for 6 1/2 hours (11:00 -5:30) and still not done as you like them? That seems like a long time to me for baby backs. I usually cook mine for 5-5 1/2 hours ("no peeking" of course.)

Grampy said:
DivotMaker said:
Ribs are done!  I did something I never do this time - I sauced them at 4 hours with my St Louis sauce.  At 5:30, I pulled them.  They weren't quite as done as I like them, but I was hungry!  Good pullback on the thinner ends, but the thick ends were still not as "fall off the bone" as I like them.

Tony, am I reading this right? These baby backs were in for 6 1/2 hours (11:00 -5:30) and still not done as you like them? That seems like a long time to me for baby backs. I usually cook mine for 5-5 1/2 hours ("no peeking" of course.)

Sorry the way that read - I pulled them 5:30 into the smoke, not "at" 5:30. ;)  Coincidence on the time!  These were really meaty ribs, and could have used another 1/2 hour.

"Sorry the way that read - I pulled them 5:30 into the smoke, not "at" 5:30. ;)  Coincidence on the time!  These were really meaty ribs, and could have used another 1/2 hour."
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ah! Now that makes more sense.  8)

Hey Tony, Looks really good, wondering when you added the sauce if bumping the temp up would put a glaze on them. Rather than putting on a char grill to do a reverse sear? Not sure if you get it down your way, but I am stuck on Gates original sauce. As is very close to what my Mom used to make and she used Maul's BBQ sauce as a base. I have her recipe but cannot get some of the ingredients she used.  :(

Hey Tony, I like your idea of the plasti-dip for the top. I have been debating how to seal the wood on mine.

Couple of questions for you:

1. How did you attach the top to the cart?

2. I am guessing you bolted the #3 onto the top and then somehow attached the top to the cart?

Hey Tony, I have been thinking about Rickne #3 for sale. Just really cannot justify it as mostly just cooking/smoking for one. Also right now the budget is kind of tight. But, I remember him saying for the smoker and cart would be $350 and that would be a steal. I may have to pull the trigger on this one. Just looking for a second opinion. As others have said is better to have too much room and not need it than to need more room and not have it. I think I will talk to Rick some more to see what the $350 includes, if it also includes the cart may go for it. Any thoughts since you have both now?

elkins20 said:
Hey Tony, I have been thinking about Rickne #3 for sale. Just really cannot justify it as mostly just cooking/smoking for one. Also right now the budget is kind of tight. But, I remember him saying for the smoker and cart would be $350 and that would be a steal. I may have to pull the trigger on this one. Just looking for a second opinion. As others have said is better to have too much room and not need it than to need more room and not have it. I think I will talk to Rick some more to see what the $350 includes, if it also includes the cart may go for it. Any thoughts since you have both now?

Bill, if you can swing it, it's a great deal!  It wasn't about how much I wanted to smoke, but how long (length)!  I wanted room to do full packer briskets and rib racks, and maybe a beef clod (if I can ever find one!).

Not sure about the bumping temp on the sauced ribs - I'm new to it!  My sauce isn't real thick, and it became sticky, but not glazed.  I'm OK with that...just added a different flavor than normal!

NDKoze said:
Hey Tony, I like your idea of the plasti-dip for the top. I have been debating how to seal the wood on mine.

Couple of questions for you:

1. How did you attach the top to the cart?

2. I am guessing you bolted the #3 onto the top and then somehow attached the top to the cart?

Gregg, I pre-drilled holes around the perimeter of the top, and a couple in the middle.  Then, laid the top down (bottom side up), and put the upside down cart on it, centered, and used #10 x 3/8" stainless pan head screws.  Worked great.  Bolted the smoker to the cart (see pics above).

Arrived......doing burn in presently

IMG_20150721_180624842_zpsco92n3dn.jpg

Back