"Three's Company" now that Big Daddy's in the house!

DivotMaker

I finally did it!  Big Daddy joined the family yesterday!  Today was filled with doing a bypass and wall-mount Auber probe, and getting a cart ready.  I went with the Harbor Freight 24"x36" $54 (on sale) cart, then added a pine 24"x36" wood panel to the top for strength.  I used red PlastiDip on the wood - should be sealed and weather-proof!  Bolted down the Big Daddy, and am now seasoning/autotuning.

I just got tired of listening to all you "happy" #3 owners, and had to join the fun!  I'm really looking forward to big, whole, packer briskets!  Funny thing - went to Sam's to get one, and they were completely out!  Had 3 flats, and NO packers!!  First time I've ever seen that!  Oh well, going to smoke 3 racks of baby backs tomorrow (uncut, for the first time)!

Pic 1 shows the bypass and permanent probe.  I just did a permanent bypass with a butt connector this time - no plans to reverse it.  Pic 2 is the probe cord routed out the power cord hole.  You have to pry the cord clamp out, put in the probe wire, and then reinsert it.  Pic 3 shows how I marked the hole locations for drilling (leg bolts).  Just draw an "X" between the corners, and you have your exact hole center.  (The bolt size, for the model 3, is M12-1.75).  Pic 4 & 5 are the completed setup.  Very happy with the rolling cart.  I definitely recommend a wood top, if you mount a #3.  It can hold it, alone, but it sags.  The 3'4" pine was just the key!

Attachments

• IMAG0491.jpg
    IMAG0491.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 561
  • IMAG0492.jpg
    IMAG0492.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 531
  • IMAG0493.jpg
    IMAG0493.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 603
  • IMAG0494.jpg
    IMAG0494.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 618
  • IMAG0495.jpg
    IMAG0495.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 597
  • IMAG0496.jpg
    IMAG0496.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 607
jcboxlot said:
I was expecting to see some camo disguised special test prototype.

Just a good 'ol fashion #3:)

Yep, just a good 'ol #3 with the Auber!  ...so far! ;) LOL!  I'm sure it's due for some "mods" in its future - you know me! ;D

Yes Sir!  3 racks of baby backs tomorrow!  I fully intended to start a brisket tonight, but none to be found!  Baby backs tomorrow, with a full report and pictures, Sir! :D

Way to go Divot! I know you'll make good use of all the xtra lazyqing real estate you have available now. Show us how it's done!

3 smokers are OK but don't get another one or you will have to start attending Smoker's Anonymous meetings. 

( I have had 6 at one time but currently only 3.  I find that keeps the wife's complaining at a minimum this way)

Tony you rascal! Congrats on the #3! The reason you bought one is the same reason I did. Depth! I didn't care about having 4 racks, it was the depth I needed because I wanted to be able to do a full slab of ribs and a whole packer. I originally was looking at a #2 but I knew it wasn't going to hold a packer. That was the ONLY reason I got a #3, I didn't want to regret not spending the extra $$$ to get the extra space, lol.

One last note, I like that GA Bulldog themed cart you have ;) :P

DLRobinson said:
3 smokers are OK but don't get another one or you will have to start attending Smoker's Anonymous meetings. 

( I have had 6 at one time but currently only 3.  I find that keeps the wife's complaining at a minimum this way)

Yeah, yeah!  I'm OK, really, I ...don't..have...a ...problem!  I can give them up any time I want! :o

Libohunden said:
I'm interested to know how your Auber works on it.

Works great!  I have the older 1503CPH model, and it performs as it always has.  I did a "quick and dirty" autotune yesterday, during seasoning.  I need to re-do one, now that it's seasoned, just didn't have time yesterday.  It's holding within 1-2°, so I;m happy. 

That 1200 watt element is a hoss!  Up to 250 in 25 minutes!

The "maiden voyage" is underway!  3 racks of Sam's baby backs were prepped with mustard & Famous Dave's Rib Rub yesterday afternoon, wrapped in plastic, and in the fridge to get happy.

They went in this morning at 11.  Sure was nice to lay those full slabs on a rack!  I used 2 shelves, just because I don't like to crowd them.  2 mini loaf pans of water and 3.5 oz of Smokinlicious wild cherry.  Already smelling good!

Attachments

• DigDadyRibs.jpg
    DigDadyRibs.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 392
  • DigDadyRibs2.jpg
    DigDadyRibs2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 424
I have a sneaking suspicion that those are going to be good. Call it a hunch :P

Welcome to the deeper side Tony.  I foresee a couple of razorbacks "makin' bacon" in your cook area in the near future.  You can't let that old #2 dress better than the shiny new #3.  Or you could do really dedicated smoking with the #2 handling pig and the #3 doing cow.

Back