There's another Mod 3 in Virginia...

Walt,

Thanks for weighing in.  Most everything I read on smoking speaks to 225 as the "low and slow" baseline temperature to use.

With all the nasty weather we're having here in Virginia, I find I'm doing less smoking and more reading on the subject.  Unexpectedly rebuilding a snow blower also found its way into my schedule this past weekend.  Had to prep for the blizzard, right? 

I think prepping some ribs would've been time better spent!

DivotMaker said:
I looked back through the manual, but am just not seeing the reference to this.  If you could point it out, I would appreciate it!  Definitely not very obvious.
I'm reading the manual for the Auber WSD-1204CPH, since that's the one I'll be buying, Page 8 Item 3 Programming the Smoking Temperature Profile the last sentence of paragraph 2 "If all of the E0X are set to t, the controller can operate with only the probe 1 plugged in."

Been in Rochester, Minnesota for the last 2 weeks.  Finally flew home yesterday.  The temp was -15 with wind chill -38.  So cold they couldn't  get the planes to work & had to bus us to  Minneapolis. I am glad to be back home.  Starting preps today for my next smoke! 

Geez... you have my respect and my sympathy Sir.

Having been born and raised in Iowa, I remember cold like that.  And don't you know my first posting in the Army was to Fort Carson.  They speak cold too.

DHurd said:
Tony,

2 questions:

1. You step up to 225 by "ramping" to 130 for half an hour (.5)?

2.  225 is the temp for nearly every smoking recipe I find, yet SI owners seem to work all around it, some tweaking up to 300 degrees.  Is there any basis for comparison to a "standard" cook time or are we just poking and hoping since there's so little reference material?

Thanks,

And thanks Polish Q, for the response on the cord question!

Dan, the slow climb to 225 isn't necessary in my #1, due to the smaller element.  In the Model 2 I've been testing, I've found I occasionally get combustion due to the much hotter 700 w element.  In the larger smoker, I found that the 1/2 hour at 130 allows the wood to heat, start smoking, and "settle in" for a bit before hitting it with the full heat again. 

For me, too, 225 is my "go to" temp for most smokes, but I have done ribs at 240.  Like others, I use various temperature profiles for lower-temp smokes (jerky, Canadian bacon).  Otherwise, you can't go wrong with 225.

Back