The Briner

Let me know what you think, Steve!  I've just done that one, but am going to try it again next weekend, just to make sure the first time wasn't a fluke! ;)

These are a real neat idea but I don't think I can justify the expense when I can get a white HDPE 5 gallon food safe pail and lid (made by Encore Plastics) for less than $4.00 at Wal*Mart.

My thoughts exactly, the only plus from the briner is the locking plate inside but overall it is just a bucket.

DiggingDogFarm said:
These are a real neat idea but I don't think I can justify the expense when I can get a white HDPE 5 gallon food safe pail and lid (made by Encore Plastics) for less than $4.00 at Wal*Mart.

True, and I would go that route also, but don't have the fridge real estate to spare!  The Jr., while a little pricey, works great for me.  The locking plate is nice, and works well, but the size is perfect for anything up to a turkey breast, and has a nice small footprint.  Cuts down on wife complaints! ;)

There are also various sizes of polycarbonate or HDPE containers available at any restaurant supply store at a reasonable price. I use whatever size best fits the job.

I took a look at this item and was tempted to buy it, but the shipping charges are outrageous! It's $12 to ship the The Briner Jr., almost the cost of the item itself. Unless the shipping charges are more reasonable, I won't be buying this item from the manufacturer any time soon. At $20 for a plastic bucket, there has to be a margin to allow for reasonable shipping charges.

What I discovered is that Cabela's sells the Jr. for the same price as the manufacturer and only charges $5.95 for domestic shipping. I ordered mine from them since I consider that charge more reasonable than the $12 charged by the manufacturer. The item is backordered as of today, but I figure I've waited this long without it, a couple more weeks won't hurt.

One other thing that I'm looking forward to doing with this item are pickles. The best sour pickles are those that are brined in a simple solution of salt and garlic. Take 3 tablespoons of kosher or pickling salt per quart and lots of crushed garlic. I usually use five smashed cloves for about 2 quarts of brine. In one week you will have the best sour garlic pickles you've ever tasted!!

Good tip about Cabela's!  I don't think they had it when I got mine.  Yes, you can certainly go with cheaper options for a brining bucket, but I really like the Briner Jr., and use it often. 

The briner lives.  I bought mine on amazon with some bring salts that were included.

I have CB processing nicely, half thru Pop's 12 day brine.

DiggingDogFarm said:
I plan to give them a try soon....I just hope they ain't a pain in the butt to clean!!!!  ???

8)

Naa...all plastic - easy peasy!  You'll like the hold-down disc; it adapts to any size load.

I just used the junior to brine 8 pork chops and it works like a charm.  So much easier than trying to weight them down.

DivotMaker said:
DiggingDogFarm said:
I plan to give them a try soon....I just hope they ain't a pain in the butt to clean!!!!  ???

8)

You try yours yet, Martin?

Yeah.

My honest opinion:
I do like it and I do think that it's a very clever idea.
But my frugal side wishes that it were lower in price or better made for the current price.
Cabela's has the 22 quart for $30.00 plus shipping.
I've used other containers for so many years without trouble that I'd have a difficult time justifying the cost when I can go to my local restaurant supply and buy three 22 quart heavy HDPE containers for the same $30.00

So, I do recommend it but with reservation.

I agree about the price + shipping, Martin, but it only hurts for a bit! :o  I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement, from someone with your brining experience!

DivotMaker said:
I agree about the price + shipping, Martin, but it only hurts for a bit! :o  I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement, from someone with your brining experience!

I wouldn't mind having 3 or 4 of the big ones but that would hurt for a very long time! LOL

Back