Texas Intro

CarlosJ

New customer here from Castroville, Texas.

Just ordered my #1 today after doing a good bit of reading about it here and on various web sites.  I'm really looking forward to tossing a fat brisket in it shortly after it gets here.

Any tips on initial setup and prep are appreciated. If they come with the smoker, don't waste your time - I'll read when it gets here.  :D

I've never used an electric smoker before, but I was pretty handy at smoking with 55gal barrel BBQs, New Braunfels smokers, and vertical smokers.  Can't wait!

Welcome to our little party, Carlos!  The seasoning instructions come with the smoker, but don't hesitate to ask anything!

You'll find this is different, and much easier, than you're used to.  Put away a lot of those "traditional" smoker methods, and learn from this forum.  The electric "Lazy Q" method is SO much easier!  Small amount of wood (most of us actually weigh our wood in ounces!) and little "human intervention" is the key to these smokers!  I don't foil anything in the smoker, like you're probably used to. 

Hang out here, when you can, and check out the recipes section for some awesome tips! :D

Thank you both!

I'll definitely be reading the forums, and will tuck away the traditional smoking methods in the back of my pea little brain.

Welcome Carlos, having started out on cheap Brinkman smokes and old barrels also I think we can better appreciate the quality of the Smokin-it over somebody that starts on one. Some of those lessons still apply they just need to be translated.

Hi Carlos, welcome to the club.  These smokers are so easy to use, just read the posts on this forum for easy to follow recipes and methods and after a few smokes you will be on your way to some great Q.

The #1 tip I can give you for new users to electric smokers would be limit the amount of wood to use. You will be surprised at how little wood these units use.

Back