SuperBowl Brisket! (First Brisket Attempt)

I would cut it in half and do both halves. You can try and separate the point from the flat, cutting at the big line of fat that goes between them. So you'd be cutting at kind of an angle. Or you could just cut straight down, where the point meets the flat from the fat side. In that case, there would be a little of the flat remaining under the point. Put the point on the lower rack, flat on an upper rack. If you have two separate food probes, I would temp them both. Otherwise go by the temp in the flat. You can always put the point in the oven wrapped in foil after you take it out if that piece is not up to 195.

rycofit said:
Questions:
1. How much wood do you use for a brisket?  5-6 oz. is fine.
2. Water or Apple Juice for moisture in the smoker?  Either.  I use apple juice, but really can't tell the difference in the meat!
3. Is 1.5 Hours per pound what I should be estimating for time?  They can go as high as 2 hrs/lb, but you're safe with that.
4. I am missing anything?  Nope!  Good luck - you have a solid plan, imo! 8)

Started the smoke at 3:30pm.  2-1/2 hours later I am getting internal temp readings on the meat of 198 degrees.  I just can't believe that would be correct after 2 hours???
I opened the smoker to check the temp probe and reposition it in the meat.
Any ideas on these readings?

Readings every 30 min
Smoker
171 (After Opening to check probe)

Meat
198 - Before moving probe
183 - After moving probe

Yeah, that can't be right. Not even close. Make sure your probe in stuck in from the side of the flat, not from the top. And the tip is fully buried evenly in the flat. Maybe your probe is not accurate (got waterlogged at the connection during washing, etc.) Do you have another probe? I would yank that probe out and let the brisket keep going, and do a test on it. Plunge into ice water, temp should register around 32 degrees. Boil some water in a pot, and put it in the pot not touching the bottom or sides. Temp should read around 212. Beyond that, I'm stumped. I hope someone else is watching...

In addition, it is just not possible for the meat to register at a higher temp than the smoker temp in 2-1/2 hours...your meat should be fine while you experiment with your probe.

Thanks for the advice.  At this point I am going to turn down the temp a little a let it sit for a few more hours.  I repositioned the probe to see if the original positioning was off.  Fingers crossed for now.

I did cut the point from the flat so I am smoking 2 smaller pieces of meat.....

Still, around 4+ lb each pieces of meat should take much longer than 2-1/2 hours. Go by tenderness if that is the only option.

Judd, they're right - no way your readings are right.  Keep the smoker temp at 225; no need to "turn down."  Also, the beauty of a packer cut is it smokes better together.  But, I know that doesn't fit in a #1 (I have one).  When I smoke a packer cut, I cut it in half lengthwise, then put the thick end (with the point) on the lower shelf, and the rest of the flat on the top.  That way, the thinner part is somewhat shielded from the heat. 

What kind of temperature probe are you using?

Thanks for the advice DivotMaker & SconnieQ!  My temp probe is from the Maverick ET-732.  After I repositioned things in the smoker it seemed to sort of readjust but I was still worried my temp readings were off.  I turned the heat down a little on the te p control on top to about 215 and let it smoke for a total of 8 hours.  After this I turned the heat back up to 225 and about an hour later the internal temp probe hit 195 at which time I pulled them out, wrapped in foil and towels and place them in a cooler for 2 hours. Today will be the test after we reheat it.  Attached is a before and after pic.
Fingers are crossed!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 303
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 297
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 285
Hopefully not too done DivotMaker!

I'm going to reheat them with ziploc freezer bags placed in boiling water to try and keep them moist and juicy.

8 hours sounds a lot better than 2-1/2! They should be pretty good. I would test your probe at some point when you get a chance. Maybe it was just probe placement that gave you the odd readings. If you have any fatty hunks left over from the point (that any of your "healthy" friends won't eat), check out my post about "brisket bacon" in the Beef section. Let us know how it went.

I would be careful with the Ziploc bags. I have reheated in Food Saver Vacuum Sealer bags, but I think the Ziplocs would melt.

Also, you will want to use simmering water. A full rolling boil would probably melt the Food Saver bags too.

I think I would reheat in a crock pot or microwave with a 1/4 cup of water or apple juice.

rycofit said:
Hopefully not too done DivotMaker!

I'm always surprised that brisket and butts can sometimes take a lot longer than you think. If your probe read 195 (and it is accurate), you should be good.

If not with the ziploc bags would a slow cooker with beef broth work better?  Any other reheating recommendations?

Yes, the slow cooker with beef broth would be a much better choice. Plus, then you can serve it right from the slow cooker as well.

The Food Saver bags are meant to be put in simmering water, but I do not think the Ziplocs are.

Your pics look awesome btw!

NDKoze said:
I think I would reheat in a crock pot or microwave with a 1/4 cup of water or apple juice.

I don't have a FoodSaver (but wish I did and could find a place to store that behemoth), but my preferred method (if you have the time) is to warm in the oven, 250-300 degrees. Wrap tightly in a couple layers of heavy-duty foil, add some apple juice or water to your foil package, place on a sheet pan and let er rip. If it's for halftime, it should be moist and warm by then if you start it before the game. For an earlier superbowl party meal, you might want to warm it at home and toss it into a cooler for transport.

Definitely need a new meat probe.  Currently testing it in a cup of ice water and it is reading 104 degrees F.

NDKoze said:
I would be careful with the Ziploc bags. I have reheated in Food Saver Vacuum Sealer bags, but I think the Ziplocs would melt.

Also, you will want to use simmering water. A full rolling boil would probably melt the Food Saver bags too.

Full rolling boil don't melt foodsaver bags. Don't ask me how I know. ;-)

But I agree, reheating via slow cooker is the way to go!

rycofit said:
Definitely need a new meat probe.  Currently testing it in a cup of ice water and it is reading 104 degrees F.

Did you ever submerge your ET-732 probe in water to clean it? If so, don't do that again as the moisture ruins them. Just something I picked up on via reading. Though with the ET-735 they are creating waterproof probes. Not sure why this wasn't a standard long ago.

Back