Sous Vide

In regards to chicken,  I sv it to 140 and then grill or pan fry it the rest of the way to 165. Works for me! Gives it much needed color and firms it up.

SconnieQ said:
icebob said:
Ok Kari, you got me curious, so right after I pulled tonight's Rib Eyes, out of the bath, I just trew a 3# boneless chuck roast in there. Set temps to 131f and planning to have it for Thursday's dinner. Just salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of olive oil. We'll see how it ends up.

Sounds about right to me. When done give it a quick sear at a high temp in a cast iron pan, grill or with a torch. And post pictures!

Tonight was day 4 ;D... Decided to go with Tony's technique and cranked up the oven on roast convection setting at 500f... first pic is right out of the pouch with all the juice collected, second pic is out of the oven, ( 5min timed!) 3rd pic is after slicing it and 4th is actually my plate.. being a week night, nothing extravagant... broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, au Jus and some creamed horseradish...holy sweet Jesus... my butcher is going to wonder what the heck I'm doing with all those chuck roast.... can hang side by side with a prime rib and can keep the head up... Thank you Kari, the 4 days in the water bath really worth it... here's the pics...

Attachments

• 2016-02-04 18.22.17.jpg
    2016-02-04 18.22.17.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 2016-02-04 18.31.09.jpg
    2016-02-04 18.31.09.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 419
  • 2016-02-04 18.34.08.jpg
    2016-02-04 18.34.08.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 429
  • 2016-02-04 18.37.42.jpg
    2016-02-04 18.37.42.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 387
Now I'm even more excited, Bob!  I have another 46 hours to go, on my little Chuckie in the bath!  I used my Santa Maria steak seasoning, and in at 131.  I am SO looking forward to dinner Saturday! :P

So I'm gathering, Bob!  If this is all it's made out to be, I'm going to cold smoke one for 3-4 hours, then SV for at least 3 days!

Looks pretty fancy to me with the veg, au jus and horseradish sides. I'd put it up against prime rib any day. Chuck is very flavorful.

DivotMaker said:
So I'm gathering, Bob!  If this is all it's made out to be, I'm going to cold smoke one for 3-4 hours, then SV for at least 3 days!

Tony, I think you are onto something with the pastrami idea. I'm working on a plan for that one, unless you get to it first.

I have a brisket flat in the brine that I was planning to turn into Montreal Smoked meat t5his week end.... I may beat you both :P

You may beat me, Kari!  I'd like to at least get one in the brine this weekend.  A brisket flat is probably my first choice, but I know lots of folks use other beef cuts.  Suggestions, anyone?

DivotMaker said:
You may beat me, Kari!  I'd like to at least get one in the brine this weekend.  A brisket flat is probably my first choice, but I know lots of folks use other beef cuts.  Suggestions, anyone?

I will probably go with a brisket flat for the pastrami. Unless I can get my hands on some beef navel. Have to make a phone call for that, but can probably get it if I put a little effort in. I think some people even use some sort of cut from the round, but I would think that would be way too lean for pastrami.

so 3 to 4 hrs at 130/140f in the smokers , after that sous vide for let's say 3 days... you would still steaming it for finish?

I wouldn't think so, Bob.  I think the SV finish will take care of that...no moisture loss.  I plan on 140; seems I remember Brian (Pork Belly) saying that was a good temp for pastrami.

Oops...The temp Brian uses on pastrami is 150.  That's where I'll do the 7.6 lb brisket I just put in the corned beef brine!

icebob said:
so 3 to 4 hrs at 130/140f in the smokers for 2 to 3 hrs, after that sous vide for let's say 3 days... you would still steaming it for finish?

My initial research for pastrami shows to smoke at 150 for 5-10 hours. Then sous vide at 140-143.6 for 72 hours, or 149 for 48 hours. I would lean toward the lower temp for 72 hours. That is my preliminary findings. No steaming necessary.

Edit: After thinking about it, I like your 130/140 smoke for 3-4 hours. (5-10 hours at 150 might be too smoky, considering that the sous vide process will probably enhance, and penetrate the smoke.) Then I also like the idea of sous vide at 140 for 3 days.

Back