Soon to be #3 owner (hopefully!)

• Thread starter Thread starter RG
  • Start date Start date
I'm going to love it as I do all of my other smokers, maybe more :P

newkid.jpg

I also forgot to mention, Steve threw in a cover for me. I don't know if it coincides with the impending spring deal or not (free cover with #2 or #3 purchse) as I just saw that on the website yesterday or if he included it in lieu of the 5% facebook discount that no longer works. Either way, it made me happy!! Good folks over there ;)

Now y'all tell me ;D

I'll post a "post butt" picture, it's at 183° it now, so it's getting in the neighborhood. My magic number for butts has always been 197° but I have pulled them off sooner.

RG said:
Now y'all tell me ;D
My magic number for butts has always been 197° but I have pulled them off sooner.

Hehe.  Funny how we all seem to have a "magic number!"  I would suspect it's because we remember that "perfect" butt, brisket, or whatever, that came off at that "magic" temp and was perfect!

Funny thing with butts:  I've experimented from 190 to 205, and have decided that pretty much anywhere in the 190's is good!  Here's what I found:  Once you go through the stall, which is where all the magic happens (as far as tenderizing), if you hit the 190's, you won't tell much difference in the results.  The bone pulls clean, with just a little wiggle, and the meat is moist and tender.  I actually believe that going past 200 is detrimental.  The meat seems to be drier in the high 190s to over 200.  I never go past 195 on butts now, and am very pleased with the results!

So, I found your magic temp of 197 kind of funny. ;)  A few degrees, one way or the other, doesn't make a hill of beans in BBQ.  Try pulling one at, say, 194, and see if you can tell the difference. 8)

I can tell you that the cooker makes a difference. Not the actual person (in some cases anyway!) but the actual apparatus itself. I have cooked butts on Kamdos primarily and in that environment I let it ride to 197° but as said above, I've pulled them at 190-200 and been happy.

Well, there was no newbie/clean grill pic to be had but I can show you the pic after the butt was cooked, with the other 3 clean grates put back in place and the dirty foil removed.

dirty01.jpg

RG said:
Well, there was no newbie/clean grill pic to be had but I can show you the pic after the butt was cooked, with the other 3 clean grates put back in place and the dirty foil removed.

dirty01.jpg

Still looks pretty darn clean!  I noticed that I need to scrape the flaking creosote off the inside of my door today, so yours is definitely a lot cleaner!

Congrats on the # 3 - we have had ours for 2 years & will never return to another type smoker.
Insofar as clean spotless grills & interior - hahahahahahahaha !!!
Mine looks like a Smoker. I get down on it & scrub about once every 6 months & use the smoker every week 12 months a year.
Best product on the market, cheap for the price & shipping is shipping.
Its kinda like bite the bullet once - use it often & with the consistent quality results, compliments - you will quickly forget about price.

Back