Smoking Thick Cut Pork Chops - Do's and Dont's

• Thread starter Thread starter KY Smoke
  • Start date Start date
Those look really good Dave, I have been looking for something new to try. I might have missed it but do you smoke at 225?

bigbassnutt said:
Those look really good Dave, I have been looking for something new to try. I might have missed it but do you smoke at 225?
Mike, that's as good a temp as any.  It is a short smoke to get a pork chop to 140 so 225 to 235 isn't going to make much of a difference.  We are breaking down tissue, just getting it warm.

I just smoked some regular thickness pork chops last week.  Brined for 5 hours, rubbed with Spice Hunter's Cowboy BBQ rub, then into the smoker at 225 with 1.75 oz of alder.  Only took about 45 minutes till the maverick told me they had reached an IT of 150.  let them rest in the cooler, foiled and wrapped in a towel, for about 45 minutes before serving.  Delicious.

Hey Dave....just smoked the thick cut, stuffed chops today for my wife's bosses birthday luncheon.  Instead of using your stovetop/sausage stuffing, I changed things up a bit.  I decided to make your stuffed mushroom recipe as well, and just doubled the stuffing portion and used this stuffing in the filleted chops too.  Added Panko Bread Crumbs to help stiffen it up a little more and was perfect.

If you remember, I brined the filleted chops about a week ago and then froze six of the chops.  Took them out of the freezer on Wednesday night and moved them to the Fridge.  So this morning at 9am, I took the chops and rinsed them good again.  Then stuffed the six chops with the mushroom, cream cheese, parm and sausage stuffing.  Tied them all with butchers twine to keep them together through the smoking and braizing process.

I also changed the dwell time in the smoker to roughly an hour at 235F, to keep them from getting too much of an overpowering smoke flavor.  Took the IT temp in the stuffing center to 110F and then moved them to the Weber Genesis to braize and finish up.  Took them off at an IT of 150F and moved to an insulated pan to transport.  A quick note on the mushrooms, I smoked them for 15 minutes and moved them to the oven for 15 minutes to finish.

All I can say is that the stuffed chops and mushrooms were a huge success!  All of my wife's co-workers and her boss were extremely impressed.  Will definitely have to keep this recipe for the "go to dinner", when we need something good and quick.  I know now that you can keep brined chops in the freezer for those unexpected occassions, and they will be just as good as if you just brined them.

Some pics of the process......unfortunately I was so rushed to get everything loaded up and get the food to my wife's office, I neglected to take completed pics of the stuffed chops and mushrooms.  I know...unbelievable!  :-\  But they were a hit and that's really all that matters at this point!  ;)

Thanks again Dave for all of the pointers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 416
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 430
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 412
Thanks Tony!  Trust me, they already are!  I think they are going to keep my #3 running on any Thursday night and Friday that I have time!  8)

Yeah. Should've checked at 1 hour. Waited till 1:25 and was at 150. Letting them rest, hope I didn't screw them up. Now waiting for Greg's beer brined fries.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 349
They look like pork-shelled tacos!  Better watch out, Taco Bell might try to steal this one! ;) ;D ;D  Bet they taste good!

Good taste. Definitely too dry. Fries came out nice so that was a positive. Will try again a little down the road.

Super Dave, Have these thick cut stuffed pork chops in brine and going on the smoker for early dinner. Hope they come out as good as yours!

Back