Smoking 30lbs of pork shoulder in a #2

I'm with Dave, Josh.  No way it was at 180 in that time.  And yes, the 2 hrs/lb is just a guideline.  Mine usually take between 1 to 1.5 hrs/lb.  Lots of great things happen to a pork butt after 4 1/2 hours, in the smoker.  One of the best things is the "stall!"  This is the point when the internal fat and connective tissue start to liquefy (render), and flow to the surface.  That causes evaporative cooling, which halts the temperature climb.  But don't be fooled!  Magic is happening during those several hours!  This usually occurs in the 160-180 range, and can last for as much as 5-6 hours!  The crock pot cannot reproduce the stall, unfortunately.  Your crock pot pork will be tender and juicy, but trust me, it's not the same, in both texture and taste. 

DivotMaker said:
I'm with Dave, Josh.  No way it was at 180 in that time.  And yes, the 2 hrs/lb is just a guideline.  Mine usually take between 1 to 1.5 hrs/lb.  Lots of great things happen to a pork butt after 4 1/2 hours, in the smoker.  One of the best things is the "stall!"  This is the point when the internal fat and connective tissue start to liquefy (render), and flow to the surface.  That causes evaporative cooling, which halts the temperature climb.  But don't be fooled!  Magic is happening during those several hours!  This usually occurs in the 160-180 range, and can last for as much as 5-6 hours!  The crock pot cannot reproduce the stall, unfortunately.  Your crock pot pork will be tender and juicy, but trust me, it's not the same, in both texture and taste.

Alright, that settles it. I'm making a true "smoked pulled pork butt" this weekend for my in laws...

On the bright side, people at work will still think your pulled pork is fabulous as they probably don't know any better.  LOL!  Next time you can send them into a food coma with the real stuff.  8)

JDSwan87 said:
Alright, that settles it. I'm making a true "smoked pulled pork butt" this weekend for my in laws...

Nice!  You'll be glad you did!  The pork butt is a VERY forgiving cut of meat...very difficult to mess up!

Shredded the pork today...

Attachments

• IMG_20151218_093839610.jpg
    IMG_20151218_093839610.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_20151218_095856706.jpg
    IMG_20151218_095856706.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 380
Well, everyone loves the pulled pork! Problem was, there was A LOT of other food and only about 2/3 of people showed up! There was a out 10-15lbs of pork left over! I know it was well loved because there were guys taking Ziploc bags of it home for themselves! Midnights will also get to munch on it too!!

Josh, now you get to enjoy all the great dishes that can be made with pulled pork, tacos, nachos, spaghetti.... The sky is pretty much the limit. 

Back