Smoker Essentials: Maverick ET732 Wireless Dual Probe Thermometer

Thank-you for the encouragement Tony. But, after doing the chuck roast today was really impressed with The Little guy. I think my next adventure will be making some smoked almonds. Also am think about next weekend doing the Boston pork roast. As I have quite a bit of the chuck roast to eat. I am thinking about putting some in bags to freeze.

Sounds like you and the Little Guy are friends, Bill!  Do me a favor, though - you can't call a Boston butt a "Boston pork roast."  ;)  "Boston butt" is the actual cut of meat (the upper shoulder of the front leg).  No worries - just trying to help you learn the lingo for the butcher!

Hey Tony, Will do, also have you ever smoked almonds? Suzie-Q here has done them. But, can't find any info as to the temp. and if you need to use raw almonds rather than ones that have been roasted. Yes me and the little guy are friends.
Thanks for the help and advice,

No almonds for me, Bill (yet).  Not sure why I haven't smoked nuts...hmm...  I guess so much meat, and so little time! ???

Hey Tony was really counting on you for some help. I have found some sellers on e-bay with decent prices on raw almonds with free shipping. Last night at Wal-Mart on an ice cream run I seen a 1lb package of almonds for $10. which is a bit high. And they were little bitty besides. 

Bill - start a new thread under "Everything Else," and ask the question!  I bet you'll get lots of feedback, if nuts is a standalone thread!  Title it "Smoked Almond Ideas," or something like that.

Welcome to the forum from SE Arizona. If you have the time, head to the Introduction section and let us know a little about yourself.

This is a very old thread I'm reviving.  Is the Maverick still the best meat thermometer?  In this price range, Amazon lists the Thermopro TP20 as their best selling.  Is there a better place than Amazon to buy stuff?  Thanks

Moto- I have the Thermoworks and have been very happy with it. I also have a Thermapen to go along with it. It’s an instant read that comes in handy.  If the few extra dollars is in the budget I would consider getting both. I know others that have the Maverick and they too have had good experiences with that unit. If I recall i bought mine off Amazon, however I believe I may have gotten a special offer on the Thermapen through smoking meat forums or some other site.

I like the Thermoworks Smoke the best, but it is pricy.
Second best, I like the Inkbird IBT-4X or IBT-6X if you have a smartphone. These are bluetooth, have 4 and 6 probes, and will let you do some graphing. Setting alarms is super easy.
The maverick was good but setting alarms was a pain, I had to get the owners manual out every time I wanted to make a change.

Back