Smoker Controller: Integrated vs Separated

snakyjake

What is your opinion regarding an integrated smoke controller versus standalone?

I was thinking of getting an analog smoker and a the separate Auber controller because...

If it breaks, I can easily replace or not still cook without it.
If I want to upgrade, easy to replace (like WiFi or waterproofing).
If I want to use the controller on another cooker, easy.
This seems like a huge long term advantage over integrated. 

But is there a disadvantage?
Does an integrated smoker offer advantages?

Thanks,
Jake

One of the biggest advantages is that you will get a 3 year warranty with the integrated.

Also, if you go stand-alone, you'll have to find some type of waterproofing cover as the stand-alone is not water proof like the integrated.

My vote is Integrated all the way.

Jake, I have, and have now used extensively, both.  Integrated, hands-down!  Here's why:

1.  The standalone is warrantied by Auber (1 year).  Not saying they're hard to deal with, but they're not anywhere close to the customer service level of SI!  The integrated controller is a SI OEM controller, so the 3 year warranty covers it!

2.  The integrated is weatherproof.  The housing is sealed, and can be used outdoors in the weather; the standalone cannot.

3.  Ease of use!  When I want to smoke, with my 3D, I put in my foil and wood, insert the meat, turn the unit on and set the program....done!  With the separate unit, you have to hook up the smoker and the Auber, plug in the probes, find a place to sit the unit, make sure it won't get wet, and then reverse the process for cleanup.  The convenience factor, for the integrated - for the same difference in price - is well-worth-it, in my book!

I've had enough issues with my Auber that I prefer the separated approach.  My Auber is currently on its way to Auberins for repair. I've switched back to analog so that I can smoke in the meantime.  I'm assuming that the integrated means you are SOL when something happens to the controller.

Sorry to hear that, Dave!  I can count, on one hand, the number of Aubers I've actually seen "fail" in the last couple of years.  I have used 3 separate units, pretty extensively, and haven't had one issue.  I also see the report on units returned to Steve for problems; 9 out of 10 test fine, when Auber gets them.  Weird, I know, but that's the way it seems to go.  Yours is a strange case, and a very small minority.  Let us know what they find.

I don't know how long it will take to get my Auber back but it will be interesting to go old school with the analog controller for a while. 

I'm a separated person, but I like my heatermeter over the auber for internet control and monitoring.  However, it does require a tech savvy person to use it over the auber.  Auber is a much more simple route.

DivotMaker said:
I also see the report on units returned to Steve for problems; 9 out of 10 test fine, when Auber gets them.  Weird, I know, but that's the way it seems to go.  Yours is a strange case, and a very small minority.  Let us know what they find.
Tony, I'm one of the 9.  :(  I got an e-mail today from Suyi at Auber saying that they weren't getting the problem to occur.  Not sure where this is going to leave me. 

Sorry to hear Suyi didn't find an issue, Dave.  There has to be a reason for what you are experiencing, and I bet we can figure it out!  We've solved lots of Auber issues, and most have boiled down to something simple (settings, or user error).  Not saying yours is user error, just pointing out what I've seen.  Maybe you can start a new topic, in the Auber section, and we can get cracking on a solution!

Back