Smoked Blooming Bologna

gregbooras

Tomorrow night we are going to do a blind taste test with five different homemade sauces. I wanted something easy to dip in the sauce, so I decided on the blooming bologna.

Smoked Blooming Bologna
Ingredients
1 lb. chub of bologna (Boar’s Head Pork/Beef)
Yellow Mustard
BBQ Rub (whatever you like best)

Wood:
2 oz. oak
Cut a cross hatch pattern on the top of the bologna and then score the sides. Cover with mustard and then apply the rub.
Place in smoker at 225 degrees for 2 hours.

Greg

SuperDave said:
I would have ate it just with the mustard and rub.  LOL!

It does look good and smells good, it was hard not to just cut off a piece.

I have never had one of these before, so it should be interesting!

Greg

Boar's Head is good stuff - very pricey, but also very good quality.  I spring for it when I feel extravagant!

Hey Greg if I was going to spring for boars head I would also go ahead and purchase some Grey Poupon    :D Lol

Ralph said:
Hey Greg if I was going to spring for boars head I would also go ahead and purchase some gray Poupon    :D Lol

Ralph,

My philosophy is it's not about quantity it's about quality.

But each to their own :)

Greg

Yep, that's my point... But I was just jesting.. Gourmet mustard would be a total waste as a binder. The Bologna looks great.

Ralph said:
Yep, that's my point... But I was just jesting.. Gourmet mustard would be a total waste as a binder. The Bologna looks great.

Hey Ralph,

No worries, in the end I am looking for some good tasting meat.....

I will post tomorrow with the results.

Greg

I'm going to guess you don't have any Pennsylvania "ring bologna" down your way.  ?    Boars head up this way is "commercial brand".

Bologna w pre cooked "any" sausage always turns out well in the SI.

jcboxlot said:
I'm going to guess you don't have any Pennsylvania "ring bologna" down your way.  ?    Boars head up this way is "commercial brand".

I live in St Augustine FL, the oldest city in the nation. We are located about 50 miles south of Jacksonville Fl and about 40 miles north of Daytona Beach.

We do not have any box stores and shopping is limited. So things that you can find locally, I drive or use Amazon prime....

I travel for a living, so when I find (food or spices) that I enjoy, I purchase and take home.

Greg

jcboxlot said:

John our roots are in Pennsylvania and we keep Lebanon bologna stocked at all times.  FedEx is a good thing.  8)

Ralph said:
jcboxlot said:

John our roots are in Pennsylvania and we keep Lebanon bologna stocked at all times.  FedEx is a good thing.  8)

OMG!  Seltzer's Lebanon bologna looks incredible!  I've never heard of this, nor have I tasted it.  I'm definitely ordering!

Seltzer's Lebanon Bologna

I grew up on this stuff.  Usually enough up this way its sold at discount stores!  Its a unique taste if you aren't from the area. 

Its sandwich bologna in my opine.  Toasted bread, mustard, mayo, farmers cheese, pickled peppers and olives.

I'd prefer Kutztown or Berks Ring bologna if you want to put in the SI.

The Seltzer has an odd "marble" texture that might not work as a triple smoke.  But still good eats.

Seltzer might have a youtube video of the factory and hows its all made.  There was a TV special about them few years back.

Goes great with Yuengling Porter Beer!  Another local.

Tony there has been a consolidation of the Lebanon baloney manufacturers and seltzers bought out Bombergers which is my  personal  preference.  Fortunately for us seltzers allows customers to choose the Bomberger's brand. We also prefer the sweet bologna but that's a personal choice. The original Bomberger's plant is still operating in Lebanon.

Whoops I missed John's  post above.  We are talking about two entirely different products. Lebanon bologna and Ring bologna are worlds apart in taste and manufacturing process.

I agree with John when he says that Kutztown and Berks are excellent choices in Ring bologna which would probably  be good candidates for smoking in the SI

My opinion is that the Lebanon bologna has no room for improvement by smoking in the SI.

PS, my wife was born and raised in Lebanon and we lived in the area for many many years.  It might sound crazy but our sandwich of preference would be Lebanon bologna, potato chips and mustard  Between two slices of bread. Lol  8)

It looks like both Kutztown and Berks are not something you can find in Florida. I will have to look for them when I travel.

Greg

I also grew up with Lebanon baloney and call it summer sausage wide enough to cover a piece of bread.  I love that stuff.

Back